Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok is also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., an award winning national political consulting firm based in Louisiana. Follow him on Twitter @beychokracing.
Picks made today for off track and off turf.
1. Factory of Faith: Like the claim back here by Sharp — has a race over the slop.
2. Princess Erindelle: Taking a class drop worried about lack of speed on slop track.
1. Givemeaminit: Should roll here to break maiden after 2nd in a stakes race.
3. Tap City Dancer: Should have the early lead and be the target for top choice.
5. Altered Mind: Should like the slop and show speed which is key in the off track here.
6. Rickeys Girl: Will likely run on the dirt – first race was ok then tried turf a few times.
4. Whistling Wind: Ran an off race in last but if comes back to previous then right in it.
2. Ride a Saint: One race at the track was good and could put him in the mix.
3. Saintly Cry: Total stab here as some will scratch and none have run on slop/wet track.
1. Saints Girl: Likely big favorite off one dirt start and will be tough to play at short odds.
1. Firespike: Really looks like the one here off the claim with some dirt form to boot.
8. Conscious Dancer: Has some ok dirt form and a few races that could win here.
9. Legalinni: Entered for main track only so respect the intentions of trainer Sharp here.
3. C Islandsurprise: Has some dirt form and last was probably good enough to win here.
3. Philoctetes: Has a win in the wet stuff over another track but should like the surface.
1. No Funny Biz: Going straight to the front from the rail I am guessing — tough to pass.
3. Miss Holiday: Drops out of special weights —bred for slop like a lot of Argentines.
8. Finding Value: One race was bet a bit — showed speed — should contend early here.
7. Fuhr a Slam: Has beaten plenty of horses in first two starts albeit in a slow fashion.
6. Shezaffirmedbeauty: Drops and didn’t run too poorly to overlook in first start — price.
Around the track
The races were canceled after three were run Saturday because the track condition and the weather. Kudos to the Fair Grounds for not running over an unsafe surface as those races could be made up later in the meet. The track condition for Sunday’s card is unknown, so play these picks with extreme caution as there is not predictor for the condition of the track or the scratches that will occur in the off turf races.
Our best bet Sunday will be in Race 7 No. 9 Legalinni. Entered for the dirt expecting or hoping for an off the turf event so must respect the intentions.
Good luck and may they all come home safely.