Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok is also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., an award winning national political consulting firm based in Louisiana. Follow him on Twitter @beychokracing.
Picks made today for fast track and on turf
4. Devil’s Teeth: Drops down from tougher and can sit right behind the speed today.
6. Full Heart: Mena could get dream trip off the blazing speed inside of him here.
8. It’s Mike’s Turn: Throw out the last — gets to turf today – has speed to lead wire-2-wire.
7. Specialeyes: The layoff is not an issue with trainer— drops a bit into easier for run.
6. Solonair: Looks to be lone speed in here and Murrill should send straight to the front.
4. Conquest Mystique: Off a layoff back to dirt and trainer change — good positives going.
9. I Am Ready Again: Gets to the turf — drops down — will be tough in this spot.
7. CC Harris: Comes out of a live heat took some money and gets to turf for Calhoun.
5. Auroras Kid: First off the claim and takes a small drop needs to show some early zip.
6. Tiz A Par: Certainly should fit at the level here winning twice for 4k last few starts.
5. Our Golden Girl: First off the claim for Amoss/Moss tandem should appreciate turf.
4. Yalisha: Move back to turf should suit this one who showed good speed on the green.
2. Sweet Arithmetic: Totally missed the start in last but finished a very good third.
5. Devine Mischief: Into Mischief offspring who love this track — got education in last race.
1. War Stroll: Has shown some speed to be able to handle this cutback in distance.
7. Dark Arden: Long shot chance here but his turf form is good enough is he can find it.
8. Ace of Diamonds: The distance will suit after a prep going shorter in a good try.
1. MG Warrior: Was unlucky not to win his last and gets the best post here.
Around the track
So, we’ve got good news and bad news for Chok’s Choices. First the bad news. The top choices had a terrible week and the return on investment fell below 70 cents on the dollar. The good news is that our second choices are now showing a profit for the year albeit slight. As I’ve written all season pay attention to the second choices here as they are continuing to perform better than the top choice and your guess as to why that happens is as good as mine. Here are the season results:
507-85-102-76=17 percent; Win/52 percent; In the Money/.69 Return or ROI
For Chok’s second choices or “the unders”
489-112-94-65=23 percent; Win/55 percent; In the Money/1.01 Return or ROI
Our Best bet Thursday will be in Race 3 No. 6 Solonair. This horse will be on the lead and should be able to take ‘em all the way home today for the win.
Good luck and may they all come home safely.