Ed Orgeron wasn't lying — new offensive coordinator Matt Canada fits right in with the head coach's fiery personality.
Canada, hired away from Pitt in December, led LSU quarterbacks, receivers and tight ends in up-tempo, quick-paced passing drills, screaming, hollering and yelling throughout the Tigers' opening practice of spring drills on Saturday afternoon.
"Danny," Canada yelled toward No. 1 QB Danny Etling during a drill after an under-thrown pass, "throw the ball, brother!"
"Higher!" he screamed at the other QBs.
"This is a fast drill," he barked while players lagged in effort at one point.
He even gestured toward reporters, lining one sideline.
"Heads up over there, folks! Running right at you!"
More observations from the 30 minutes reporters got to watch:
- Missing: Toby Weathersby was the only noticeable absence during practice. He had a minor offseason procedure, and Orgeron said after practice that he'd be out for spring. Jakori Savage, as you'll see below, replaced Weathersby at No. 1 RT.
- In gold: Donavaughn Campbell, who underwent shoulder surgery in December, donned a gold jersey signaling limited contact. He did not participate in any full-team drills. FB J.D. Moore was also in gold. Orgeron said earlier this week Moore may miss spring. He underwent a procedure on his right wrist. He wore a cast on it Saturday. OG Will Clapp was dressed but did not have a helmet and did not participate in practice, as expected. He's recovering from shoulder surgery in January.
- Position moves: Coaches appear to have switched Devin Voorhies, from inside to outside linebacker, and Michael Divinity, from outside to inside linebacker.
- Key guys: Sci Martin was first up in the rotation in replacing Arden Key with the first-team group. Andre Anthony and Ray Thornton are expected to also get some of Key's reps, Orgeron said earlier this week.
- FB-TE: The fullbacks were working with the tight ends and not the running backs, a change from how LSU fullbacks practiced under coach Les Miles and under Orgeron in the interim.
- Isaiah here: Isaiah Washington returned to practice after missing last season with an ACL tear. It is believed to be his first practice since the injury happened in preseason camp.
Let's get to the No. 1 and No. 2 O-line rotation
No. 1 OL
- LT K.J. Malone
- LG Garrett Brumfield
- C Lloyd Cushenberry
- RG Maea Teuhema
- RT Jakori Savage
No. 2 OL
- LT Austin Deculus
- LG Turner Simmers (walk-on)
- C Michael Smith (walk-on)
- RG Adrian Magee
- RT Willie Allen
No. 1 D (minus CBs)
- DE Frank Herron
- NG Greg Gilmore
- DE Christian LaCouture
- B-OLB Sci Martin
- F-OLB Corey Thompson
- ILB Donnie Alexander
- ILB Devin White
- S Ed Paris
- S John Battle