LSU lost a commitment from a sophomore in high school.
Justin Watkins, a five star Florida product ranked by 247Sports as the No. 2 athlete in the 2018 class, withdrew is verbal commitment from the Tigers on Tuesday, he told 247Sports.com.
“I want to open up all my options,” Watkins told Geaux247, the 247Sports affiliate covering LSU. “My mom is an LSU fan and I grew up liking them. I felt I made an early decision the day I got that offer and want to visit other places and see how everything is there, too.”
Watkins, 6 foot, 165 pounds, plans to visit Auburn and Florida State later this month and has taken several trips to Florida, he told the site. Watkins committed to LSU last spring as a freshman.
Watkins’ de-commitment leaves the Tigers with four commitments in the 2018 class almost two years before national signing day.
LSU’s 2017 commitment class
- RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Catholic (Baton Rouge)
- QB Jontre Kirklin, Lutcher (Lutcher)
- DT Tyler Shelvin, Northside (Lafayette)
LSU’s 2018 commitment class
- DB Kelvin Joseph, Scotlandville (Baton Rouge)
- DB Corione Harris, Landry-Walker (New Orleans)
- QB Zadock Dinkelmann, Somerset (Somerset, Texas)
- WR Devonta Jackson, Landry-Walker (New Orleans)