If you awoke Saturday morning hoping to see Ed Orgeron underneath a trampoline with two 300-pound defensive linemen, you won't be disappointed.
LSU's boisterous defensive line coach led his players through some interesting drills, and it included two newbies. Freshmen Rashard Lawrence and Sci Martin practiced with the starters/veterans during the morning session of Day 3 of LSU's preseason camp - the first day players donned shoulder pads.
"Lean on'em!" Orgeron barked to his guys at one point.
"Come on, big Sci!" he yelled at Martin.
Martin, of McDonogh 25, and Lawrence, of Neville, spent the first two days of camp practicing in the afternoon session, with the freshmen/reserves.
NEW GUYS: Two new true freshmen practiced with the starters/veterans during the second day o…
Other observations from Saturday's morning session:
- Offensive lineman Will Clapp, recovering from hip surgery he had in April, was absent from the practice session. A presumed starter at guard, Clapp practiced with the veterans the last two mornings. He underwent hip surgery in April and missed much, if not all, of summer workouts. Coach Les Miles indicated earlier this week that coaches would take it slow with Clapp during camp.
- For a second straight day, LSU prohibited media members from videoing and photographing a portion of practice, with specifics to receivers and quarterbacks. So what happened Saturday morning during that portion of drills? Quarterbacks threw passes to receivers, and receivers caught them. No, but really, LSU quarterbacks worked on fade passes and out routes in the end zone. Brandon Harris threw to Malachi Dupre and D.J. Chark. Danny Etling tossed to Travin Dural and Tyron Johnson.
- Speaking of Tyron Johnson, he practiced with the veterans for the first time. He's been with the freshmen the first two days of camp. What's this all mean? We don't know, and don't read too much into it.
- OL Maea Teuhema and OLB Tashawn Bower were again absent from practice. Teuhema is nursing a left ankle sprain and could be out until next week. Bower is "nicked," Miles said earlier this week, but he expected him back in "a couple of days."
- Freshman receiver Drake Davis, with the morning group Friday, was not there on Saturday.
- DL: Frank Herron, Christian LaCouture, Rashard Lawrence, Deondre Clark, Greg Gilmore, Lewis Neal, Davon Godchaux, Sci Martin, Arden Key
- ILB: Kendell Beckwith, Donnie Alexander, Devin White, Duke Riley
- OLB: Corey Thompson, Michael Divinity
- DB: Donte Jackson, Jamal Adams, John Battle, Rickey Jefferson, Tre White, Kevin Toliver, Ed Paris, Dwayne Thomas
- QB: Brandon Harris, Danny Etling
- WR: Tyron Johnson, Malachi Dupre, Derrick Dillon, Russell Gage, D.J. Chark, Travin Dural
- FB: J.D. Moore, Bry'Kiethon Mouton
- RB: Leonard Fournette, Derrius Guice, Darrel Williams
- TE: Colin Jeter, Foster Moreau, DeSean Smith, Zach Von Rosenberg
- SPT: Colby Delahoussaye, Cameron Gamble, Josh Growden, Blake Ferguson
Sheldon Mickles contributed to this report.