- Position: Tight end
- Height: 6-foot-5
- Weight: 221 pounds
- High school: Westlake
- Strengths: With DeSean Smith already on the roster, Washington adds a second quality receiver at tight end. During receiving drills, Washington showed strong hands, successfully catching every pass thrown in his direction.
- Must improve on: The key for Washington to be effective in the LSU offense will be improving on his blocking ability. With a stacked backfield, LSU will require its TEs to be strong in the trenches.
- Tight end Travis Dickson says: “He’s an athlete, and he’s still young. He’s a smart kid, but he’s also an athletic kid, and he’s going to get there quick. Hopefully he can contribute for us this year.”
- Projection: Considering how little work DeSean Smith received last season, it may take a year or two before Washington is integrated into the LSU offense. Then again, having two young QBs means a security blanket will be needed, so only time will tell how many balls are thrown in Washington’s direction this season.
“They’re both good coaches. It’s like steak or lobster. It’s whatever you have a taste for.”
— Senior tackle Evan Washington talking about the difference between Jeff Grimes and former line coach Greg Studrawa.
n Brandon Harris made another morning appearance on Thursday afternoon, working next to redshirt freshman passer Jake Clise on the practice field. Kenny Hilliard was the primary runner, working directly with Harris on handoffs and short-yardage passing plays.
Next three up
9:25 a.m., first full squad practice (will practice in full pads)
Full squad will practice at 8:50 a.m. and 4:15 p.m.
LSU Football Media Day will take place from 3:30 p.m., followed by LSU Football Fan Day at 5 p.m.
Practices are closed to the public.
For more coverage, visit theadvocate.com/sports. Here’s a sampling of what you’ll find:
- Video of the Tigers participating in the Big Cat drill during Thursday morning’s practice
- Video of new offensive line coach Jeff Grimes working with his linemen during the squad’s morning drills
- Keep tabs on our reporters for live coverage on Twitter: @DellengerAdv, @RabalaisAdv, @MicklesAdvocate and @BarrecaAdvocate.