LSU basketball coach Johnny Jones said Wednesday that freshman guard Antonio Blakeney was cleared to play late last week following an NCAA investigation of workout videos involving a personal trainer.
Jones said Blakeney got the all-clear from the NCAA on Friday, just before the Tigers traveled to Shreveport for a closed scrimmage on Saturday with TCU.
“The NCAA wanted to look into several players throughout the country whose eligibility was somewhat delayed,” Jones said. “They’ve had an opportunity to look into it, and we’re very fortunate that we’re able to get that behind us.
“I think it’s something that allowed Antonio the freedom to feel comfortable about playing in our scrimmage over the weekend, and I thought he played exceptionally well.”
Blakeney, a McDonald’s All-American was the No. 2 player in LSU’s third-ranked recruiting class that included the nation’s top prospect -- 6-foot-10 forward Ben Simmons -- and guard Brandon Sampson.
Blakeney also made headlines when he was prominently mentioned in an ESPN “Outside the Lines” report about a University of Louisville recruiting sex scandal in which he and other recruits allegedly had sexual encounters with women paid for by a former University of Louisville graduate assistant coach during recruiting visits to the school.
Jones, at SEC Media Day on Oct. 21, confirmed that Blakeney had met with NCAA investigators as part of the Louisville case but said that he did not expect Blakeney to be charged with any violations.