LSU freshman Leonard Fournette has moved into the role of co-starter, according to an LSU depth chart released Monday.
Fournette got his first career start in the 30-27 win over Florida and ran for 140 yards. Fournette is listed as a co-starter with Kenny Hilliard and Terrence Magee, but he’s on the top line.
“Leonard gives us that big, fast back that can really push the ball at a defense,” coach Les Miles said Monday at his weekly news conference.
- Miles will speak to the Southeastern Conference office this week about the ending of the win over Florida, the coach said Monday. Time was added to the clock after Florida players appeared to stall with less than 15 seconds left in the game. LSU ran a rushing play with 24 seconds left. Time ticked down to 3 seconds before the time was added. “Can’t believe officials would allow defensive team to stay on that ball for 24 seconds,” the coach said.
- LSU starting fullback Connor Neighbors is expected to return to practice and be available for the game against Kentucky. Neighbors did not travel to Florida while recovering from a sprained ankle.
- LSU had planned to play true freshman Brandon Harris in the win over Florida, but “the opportunity to win” didn’t allow that, the coach said. The coach suggested that Harris could get in the game against Kentucky.
- Freshman defensive tackle Davon Godchaux is no longer listed as a co-starter with Quentin Thomas. Thomas, playing with a torn right biceps, injured his left arm against Mississippi State and missed games against Auburn and New Mexico State. He played early in the win at Florida, but did not play late in the game, it appeared.
- Other depth chart notes: Middle linebacker Kendell Beckwith, who got his first career start against Florida, is listed as a co-starter with D.J. Welter and is on the top line of the depth chart. … Rashard Robinson is no longer listed a co-starter with Jalen Collins. Robinson is the starter alone. … At right guard, there is no longer a trio of players listed as co-starters. Ethan Pocic is on the top line as the starter. He’s started the last several games.