JaCoby Stevens is firmly committed to LSU. The removal of Ed Orgeron's interim tag only strengthened that commitment.
Stevens, a five-star safety from Murfreesboro, Tennessee, told The Tennessean he wanted Orgeron to be his next head coach the most out of the reported candidates.
"Out of all the candidates, I wanted Coach O to be the coach," Stevens told the newspaper Monday. "I've known him since my freshman year. I know how he is."
Stevens, whose parents are originally from Louisiana, initially offered his nonbinding verbal pledge to LSU in September 2015 before decommitting in November of the same year due to the uncertainty of former LSU coach Les Miles' future. He recommitted in August before the start of his senior season and remained committed after Miles' firing four games into the 2016 season.
The 6-foot-2, 200-pound defensive back is the highest rated player at his position and the No. 24 overall player in the class of 2017, according to 247Sports' composite rankings. The Oakland High product plans to enroll early at LSU.
Stevens, though, is being heavily recruited by Alabama. He told The Tennessean that Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban calls his once a week, but defensive backs coach Corey Raymond is the key reason he's sticking with the Tigers.
"When a player says no to coach Saban for LSU, that speaks a lot of volume," Stevens said. "Coach Raymond is the deal breaker. If he stays, I'm pretty sure I'll be putting my name on that bottom line."
LSU currently has 18 commitments for its 2017 class, which is ranked fifth nationally according to 247Sports. Stevens is the only five-star commitment the Tigers currently hold.
You can read The Tennessean's full report here.
LSU's 2017 commitment class
- S JaCoby Stevens, Oakland (Murfreesboro, Tennessee)
- CB Kary Vincent, Memorial (Port Arthur, Texas)
- RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Catholic (Baton Rouge)
- QB Jontre Kirklin, Lutcher (Lutcher)
- DT Tyler Shelvin, Notre Dame (Lafayette)
- DB Grant Delpit, IMG Academy (Bradenton, Florida)
- OLB Patrick Queen, Livonia (Livonia)
- QB Lowell Narcisse, Saint James (Saint James)
- QB Myles Brennan, St. Stanislaus (Bay St. Louis, Mississippi)
- OG Edward Ingram, DeSoto (DeSoto, Texas)
- OT Austin Deculus, Cy-Fair (Cypress, Texas)
- FB Tory Carter, Lee County (Leesburg, Georgia)
- OG Saahdiq Charles, MRA (Ridgeland, Mississippi)
- DE Aaron Moffitt, Catholic (Baton Rouge)
- WR Mannie Netherly, Crosby (Crosby, Texas)
- OL Seth Stewart, Point Pleasant (Point Pleasant, West Virginia)
- DL Neil Farrell, Murphy (Mobile, Alabama)
- DE Justin Thomas, Spanish Fort (Spanish Fort, Alabama)
LSU’s 2018 commitment class
- DB Kelvin Joseph, Scotlandville (Baton Rouge)
- QB Zadock Dinkelmann, Somerset (Somerset, Texas)
- DB Nadab Joseph, Edison (Miami, Florida)
- S Caden Sterns, Steele (Cibolo, Texas)
LSU’s 2019 commitment class
- CB Derek Stingley, Dunham (Baton Rouge)
- CB Maurice Hampton, Memphis University School (Memphis)
- OL Kardell Thomas, Southern Lab (Baton Rouge)