- LSU began its second day of fall camp Tuesday with early-morning drills in hot conditions. Like Monday’s opener, half of the team (most veterans/starters) practiced Tuesday morning and half will go through drills in the afternoon. Reporters are granted about 15-20 minutes to view individual drills.
- Mills in the morning: Safety Jalen Mills, who had his summer-long suspension lifted Monday, practiced in the morning group. Mills practiced with the afternoon group Monday, a surprising development. LSU coach Les Miles lifted Mills’ suspension after the East Baton Rouge District Attorney Hillar Moore charged him with misdemeanor simple battery, a lesser charge than what he was booked for – second-degree battery, which is a felony.
- QB update: Freshman quarterback Brandon Harris got his spin with the veterans Tuesday morning after practicing in the afternoon Monday. Harris tossed several passes, a few to freshman receiver Malachi Dupre. Dupre practiced for the second straight day in the morning. Running backs coach Frank Wilson, with offensive coordinator Cam Cameron looking on, instructed Harris on footwork. Baseball outfielder and new reserve quarterback Jared Foster also practiced in the morning. He went in the afternoon Monday. Anthony Jennings is expected to practice in the afternoon.
- The chief: Defensive coordinator John Chavis was vocal as usual, barking orders at his defenders. During a drill, defensive tackle Quentin Thomas didn’t stay low enough. “You get up that high, you’re going to lose a knee!” Chavis yelled at him.
- Miles and the guards: Les Miles, a former offensive linemen, spent much of his time with the players battling for the starting right guard spot: Hoka Fanaika and Evan Washington. It’s an intense and close battle for that starting spot, but it appears that Fanaika may have a slight edge. He was going with what appeared to be the starting group.
The other half of the team will practice in the afternoon Monday. Practice time is set for 3:45 p.m. These split squad practices will carry through Thursday.