LSU’s blowout win over an Auburn team that may wind up being hard-pressed to make a bowl game this season has lifted the Tigers’ bowl projections across the board.
Of 10 bowl projections we found, LSU is projected to go to the Sugar Bowl in three of them, the Peach Bowl in three and three in the Citrus Bowl, which is the SEC’s highest non-College Football Playoff Bowl tie in.
Jerry Palm of CBSSports.com is one of those who has LSU in the Sugar Bowl. Remember unlike last year the Sugar isn’t hosting one of the CFP semifinals – those will be New Year’s Eve in the Cotton and Orange Bowls. Same for the Peach, which like the Sugar, Rose and Fiesta are also part of the CFP semifinal rotation.
However, the Sugar would still be a much coveted landing spot for LSU, as would the Peach. There is a lot of buzz that the Sugar Bowl, which has had trouble filling up the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in recent games before last January’s Ohio State-Alabama CFP semifinal, would covet having LSU in its game this year.
Tiger fans have cooled a bit in recent years on being fired up about LSU playing in the Peach Bowl, but the prestige factor is definitely greater than ever. The prospect of an LSU-Florida State game on New Year’s Eve in Atlanta is also enticing.
The three picks that have LSU in the Citrus Bowl all have the Tigers facing Wisconsin. While that would be an attractive game, you have to think LSU and possibly the SEC would try to dissuade the Citrus from such a matchup because the Tigers and Badgers open against each other next September at the Green Bay Packers’ Lambeau Field.
- Bill Bender, The Sporting News: Citrus Bowl vs. Wisconsin (Jan. 1, Orlando)
- Greg Ostendorf (SEC blog) and David M. Hale (ACC Blog), ESPN.com: Peach Bowl vs. Clemson (Dec. 31, Atlanta)
- CollegeSportsMadness.com: Sugar Bowl vs. Baylor (Jan. 1, New Orleans)
- Brad Crawford, SaturdayDownSouth.com: Sugar Bowl vs. Baylor (Jan. 1, New Orleans)
- Pete Fiutak, CollegeFootballNews.com: Peach Bowl vs. Florida State (Dec. 31, Atlanta)
- Jason Kirk, SBNation.com: Outback Bowl vs. Nebraska (Jan. 1, Tampa)
- Brett McMurphy, ESPN.com: Peach Bowl vs. Clemson (Dec. 31, Atlanta)
- Jerry Palm, CBSSports.com: Sugar Bowl vs. Baylor (Jan. 1, New Orleans)
- Mark Schlabach, ESPN.com: Citrus Bowl vs. Wisconsin (Jan. 1, Orlando)
- Erick Smith, USA Today: Citrus Bowl vs. Wisconsin (Jan. 1, Orlando)