One down, one to go.
Florida running back Chris Curry committed to LSU on Thursday, giving coach Ed Orgeron his first of what he hopes will be two tailbacks in the 2018 class.
Curry gave his non-binding verbal pledge to coaches during the opening day of LSU's three-day premier prospect camp in Baton Rouge. The 5-11, 220-pound Curry is ranked by 247Sports.com as the nation's 24th-best running back.
Curry continues a recent streak of pledges for Orgeron and his staff. He's the fifth commitment in less than a week and the 19th in a 2018 commit class that was missing a key piece before his promise.
The next D.J. Chark could be in Baton Rouge this weekend.
Orgeron has called running back a position of need for LSU in this class, and he hopes to sign two running backs during this cycle, replenishing a group that’s expected to lose draft-eligible juniors in back-to-back years (Leonard Fournette, 2016, and Derrius Guice, 2017) and senior Darrel Williams after this year.
Curry, from Lehigh Acres, Florida, tweeted the news Thursday evening from Baton Rouge. Like more than 500 others, he's in town for LSU's biggest, and final, prospect camp of the summer. Orgeron could reel in several more commitments before the camp ends Saturday.
The Tigers have been on a roll of late. Curry joins four others to commit since last Saturday: two for 2019 in Southern Lab running back Tyrion Davis and tackle Thomas Perry of Lafayette; and two for 2018 in the Ferriday duo of Dantrieze Scott, an athlete, and Dare Rosenthal, a defensive end.
Tyrion Davis wasn't supposed to make a college decision this quickly.
Curry has been in constant contact with the LSU staff over the last several weeks, he told Geaux247.com in a story published earlier this week.
"They show me lots of love, and they say be ready to play," Curry told the site. "I feel blessed to be so highly looked upon. Also, I feel like I can make a change in the offense and hopefully become one of the weapons on the team."
LSU 2018 commitment class (19)
- DT Ja'Quon Griffin, Rome, Ga. (Rome)
- RB Chris Curry, Lehigh Acres, Florida (Lehigh)
- ATH Dantrieze Scott, Ferriday (Ferriday)
- DE Dare Rosenthal, Ferriday (Ferriday)
- OLB Adam Anderson, Rome, Ga. (Rome)
- DE Jarell Cherry, Dallas (Carter)
- ILB Micah Baskerville, Shreveport (Evangel)
- ILB Damone Clark, Baton Rouge (Southern Lab)
- DT Davin Cotton, Shreveport (Evangel)
- G Chasen Hines, Marshall, Texas (Marshall)
- WR Jaray Jenkins, Jena (Jena)
- DT Nelson Jenkins, Plaquemine
- CB Kelvin Joseph, Baton Rouge (Scotlandville)
- S Nadab Joseph, Miami (Edison)
- DE Travez Moore, Wesson (Copiah-Lincoln CC)
- OL Cole Smith, Pontotoc, Miss. (Pontotoc)
- S Caden Sterns, Cibolo, Texas (Steele)
- S ArDarius Washington, Shreveport (Evangel)
- OT Cameron Wire, East Ascension (Gonzales)