LSU coach Les Miles, on Wednesdays during game weeks, speaks publicly three different times. Follow his comments here throughout the day.
- Injury update: One of the two players on LSU’s injury report are ready to go. Junior left tackle Jerald Hawkins (ankle) practiced today, and Miles expects him to start against Ole Miss. Junior tight end DeSean Smith, however, did not practice. Miles said Smith is “doubtful” for Saturday’s contest. The coach said sophomore KJ Malone, who replaced Hawkins against Arkansas, “could be the guy” if Hawkins is unable to play, though he said he might switch around players on the line. Miles specifically mentioned true freshman Toby Weathersby when discussing the offensive line.
- CB rotation: Miles indicated the rotation at cornerback opposite junior Tre’Davious White will continue. True freshman Donte Jackson was inserted into the mix with classmate Kevin Toliver and junior Dwayne Thomas against Arkansas last week, though Miles didn’t mention Thomas.
- Set your goals: With LSU’s SEC West and College Football Playoff aspirations now shattered, Miles said the Tigers are focused on enjoying the rest of the season and returning to mid-year form. “In other words, (our goal is) to be that team we were just a couple weeks ago,” he said. “If we can back on track, there should be a great opportunity for a bowl game going forward. Finish with a couple of victories here, and the opportunity to play in a very significant bowl game is a great reward for the back-end of the season.”
- Scoreboard-watching: Prior to its 31-14 loss to Arkansas last
- Let them play: The Big 10 may stop scheduling FCS opponents starting in 2016, but Miles doesn’t think that’s necessary for SEC schools because of the conference’s difficulty. He added that scheduling opponents from lower divisions is actually a good thing for both teams.
MORE LSU FOOTBALL COVERAGE
- Rabalais: ‘Strong indications’ LSU’s Les Miles coaching for his job vs. Ole Miss, Texas A&M
- There’s no ‘I’ in ‘team’: LSU abandons I-formation in favor of shotgun, single-back sets
- ‘I know LSU is going to come back’: One recruit, at least, says Tigers’ skid won’t affect his decision
- LSU Twitter Mailbag: You asked about Les Miles on the hot seat, Steele & Cameron’s systems and more