LSU ended Day 1 of preseason camp with an afternoon practice indoors that included mostly freshmen and youngers guys. Reporters were given about 10 minutes to view individual drills.
Here are news, notes, photos and some videos. Go here for ourmorning Practice Report.
- Finally back: Safety Corey Thompson was fully dressed out and practiced. It’s believed to be the first time since last fall camp that he went through drills. Thompson was a preseason second team All-SEC cornerback last year before re-injuring his knee. Thompson needed ACL surgery and missed the final game of the 2013 season. He had another minor procedure in January and did not participate in spring practice.
- Rookie duo: LSU freshman running backs Derrius Guice and Nick Brossette spent much of practice working side by side and following each other during drills. It’s clear the two are close. They’re both highly touted local signees playing the same position.
- Highly ranked O-linemen: LSU’s 2015 signing class included five offensive linemen and all of them were practicing in the afternoon session. Maea Teuhema was practicing at right guard and Toby Weathersby at right tackle. Adrian Magee played at the left guard spot and Chidi Valentine-Okeke was at left tackle.
- New QB: Danny Etling, the Tigers’ QB transfer from Purdue, was at practice throwing. He’s ineligible until the 2016 season, but he can practice with the team.
- No position moves: MJ Patterson practiced with the linebackers during the spring, but he went with the defensive linemen on Thursday.