LSU opened preseason camp on Thursday.
There was a, possible, position move, a couple of freshmen working with the veterans, a mention of Pokemon, a mysterious walk-on receiver and an appearance by kicker Colby Delahoussaye.
Lots going on, right? Here are the nuggets, and, below that, videos from the morning session (veterans, mostly) of the first day of camp.
- Only two freshman signees worked with the veterans Thursday, and both are mid-year enrollee linebackers: Michael Divinity and Devin White. Divinity worked with the outside linebackers as a reserve, and White worked as a No. 2 at inside linebacker.
- Presumed starting left tackle Maea Teuhema, nursing a sprained left ankle, missed practiced. K.J. Malone replaced him in the No. 1 rotation, and Chidi Okeke was the No. 3 at left tackle.
- Will Clapp, recovering from hip surgery in April, practiced and ran through drills with other players as the Tigers' left guard. Also, TE DeSean Smith (knee injury) was also practicing. Josh Boutte and Garrett Brumfield rotated at right guard, and Toby Weathersby and George Brown Jr. at right tackle. All of that is expected.
- Kicker Colby Delahoussaye participated in practice and was seen kicking for a decent amount of time. This all comes less than two weeks after he suffered second-degree burns on his left leg in a fiery car crash that took two lives. Les Miles suggested he'd practice Thursday. Lo and behold, the senior from New Iberia did.
- Do we have a position change? Maybe. Safety Rickey Jefferson participated in at least one drill with the outside linebackers, but he was seen also practicing with the safeties later on at practice. Corey Thompson, during interviews after practice, says Jefferson has not changed positions. He was working in drills with the outside linebackers because of numbers (see the below note).
- Of note: Tashawn Bower was the only projected defensive starter not practicing with the veterans on Thursday morning.
- You're wondering about that mysterious walk-on right? It's Jalen Williams, a pitcher with the Boston Red Sox for nearly three seasons in the Rookie League. He's 21 and was drafted in the 16th round in 2013. He posted a career record of 4-2 and a 3.19 ERA. Williams worked with the receivers as a reserve. Tight end Zach Von Rosenberg, also a former baseball player with the Pirates organization, practiced with the veterans, too. He's listed as a true freshman but is 25-years-old. He enrolled in January.
- No, Travonte Valentine was not at this morning's practice (the afternoon practice begin around 3 p.m.), but there was a Pokemon slogan. LSU players, during a passing drill, quoted the popular game, yelling, "Gotta catch'em all!" That video, and others, is below.
- DB: Donte Jackson, Kevin Toliver, Rickey Jefferson, Dwayne Thomas, Tre White, John Battle, Jamal Adams, Ed Paris
- ILB: Kendell Beckwith, Devin White, Donnie Alexander, Duke Riley
- OLB: Arden Key, Isaiah Washington, Corey Thompson, Michael Divinitiy.
- DL: Greg Gilmore, Frank Herron, Deondre Clark, Lewis Neal, Christian LaCouture, Davon Godchaux
- OL: Garrett Brumfield, Ethan Pocic, Josh Boutte, Adrian Magee, Andy Dodd, George Brown Jr., Chidi Okeke, Will Clapp, Toby Weathersby, K.J. Malone
- TE: DeSean Smith, Foster Moreau, Colin Jeter, Zach Von Rosenberg
- FB: J.D. Moore, Bry'Kiethon Mouton
- WR: Malachi Dupre, Travin Dural, Derrick Dillon, D.J. Chark, Russell Gage, Jalen Williams
- RB: Darrel Williams, Leonard Fournette, Derrius Guice
- QB: Caleb Lewis, Danny Etling, Brandon Harris
- SP: Colby Delahoussaye, Cameron Gamble, Blake Ferguson
It's official. Well, almost.
Sheldon Mickles contributed to this report.