LSU held its first practice of fall camp on Monday morning.
- Half of LSU players practiced in the morning in somewhat cool, partly cloudy conditions. Half will go this afternoon. The morning practice included mostly veterans.
- Freshman too: Several rookies were involved in the morning practice. The list included receivers Malachi Dupre and Tony Upchurch, tight end Colin Jeter, defensive linemen Davon Godchaux, Sione Teuhema and Deondre Clark, defensive back Russell Gage and linebacker Clifton Garrett.
- QB update: Three quarterbacks participated in the morning practice. Just one of them – Anthony Jennings – is on scholarship. Brad Kragthorpe and Jake Clise were the other two. True freshman Brandon Harris and Jared Foster are expected in the afternoon.
- New number: Terrence Magee sported his new number during drills. Magee was awarded LSU’s hallowed No. 18 jersey Sunday night and donned it at the afternoon’s practice.
- No Fournette: Star freshman running back Leonard Fournette did not practice Monday morning. He’s expected to go with most of the other freshmen in the afternoon. Fans shouldn’t read too much into who goes in what practice. LSU coach Les Miles is expected to rotate players between the two.
- Team drill: In defensive team drills, Corey Thompson was running with the starting safeties, and Jalen Collins was with the starting cornerbacks. Thompson and Collins are listed as No. 2s on the depth chart.
They likely got the nod with the 1s because the listed starters (Rickey Jefferson and Rashard Robinson) will be practicing in the afternoon.
The other half of the team will practice in the afternoon Monday. Practice time is set for 3:50 p.m. These split squad practices will carry through Thursday.