- MEMORIAL WEEKEND BLESSING OF THE BOATS: 2 p.m., Morrison Parkway public landing, False River, New Roads. Call Kenneth St. Romain (225) 718-1319.
19TH-ANNUAL GRAND ISLE SPECKLED TROUT RODEO: FINAL DAY, BRIDGE SIDE MARINA, GRAND ISLE. LOUISIANA STATE MASTER ANGLER-SPECKLED TROUT EVENT. NOON-2 P.M. WEIGH-IN.
- MEMORIAL DAY
- RED STICK FLY FISHERS FLY-TYING SESSION: 7 p.m., Bass Pro Shops, Denham Springs. Monthly event. Call Pete Bongiovanni (225)313-3813 . Website: www.rsff.org.
FIN-ADDICT FLY FISHERS MEETING: 6:30 P.M., SPAHR’S SEAFOOD RESTAURANT, 1400 W. TUNNEL BLVD, HOUMA. MONTHLY EVENT. CALL STEPHEN ROBERT (985) 850-0082. WEBSITE: FINADDICTFLYFISHERS.BLOGSPOT.COM.
- WILDLIFE RESEARCH, MANAGEMENT AND EDUCATION SYMPOSIUM: 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m., Louisiana Room, state Wildlife and Fisheries, 2000 Quail Dr., Baton Rouge. Topics: southern pine beetle, Atchafalaya amphibians, dove field management, federal Farm Bill, gopher tortoise, trends in hunter education, prairie restoration, proscribed burning on turkey movements, deer space use & movement patterns. No fee. Call Jeff Duguay (225) 765-2353. Email: email@example.com.
- CANAL BANK BASS TOURNAMENT: 5-8 p.m., Canal Bank Club, Diversion Canal. Wednesdays through Aug. 13th. Membership fee $15/angler. Weekly fee $40/boat. Call Todd Rabalais (225) 413-3634. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CCA POINTE COUPEE CHAPTER BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., Scott Memorial Civic Center, New Roads. Tickets $60, $30 spouses, $25 youths, $480 tables. Membership, dinner, live/silent auctions. Call Nolan Reynerson (225) 952-9200.
- 77TH DUCKS UNLIMITED NATIONAL CONVENTION: St. Louis, Mo. Website: www.ducks.org.
- CCA CENLA CHAPTER BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., Riverfront Center, Alexandria. Tickets $60, $30 spouses, $25 youths, $480 tables. Membership, dinner, live/silent auctions. Call Julie Grunewald (225) 952-9200.
- BASSMASTER NORTHERN OPEN: Douglas Lake, Dandridge, Tenn. First in three-tournament series to qualify winners for 2015 Bassmaster Classic. Website: www.bassmaster.com.
- FRIDAY NIGHT COOKIE JAR BASS TOURNAMENT: 7 p.m.-midnight, Morrison Parkway public landing, False River, New Roads. Fee $30/boat. Friday nights through Sept. 15. Call Guy Perkins (225) 293-3402.
- ORVIS FLY FISHING 101: 10 a.m.-noon, Orvis Shop, Perkins Rowe, Baton Rouge. No fee. Beginners casting, rigging, knots. Call Orvis Shop (225) 757-7286.
- WOMEN’S FISH TAGGING WORKSHOP: Cabela’s, Gonzales. Limited to 30 women for basic fishing skills, tackle, fish ID, tagging, handling, cleaning, cooking. Sponsored by LDWF, CCA-Louisiana & Cabela’s. Website registration: www.ccalouisiana.com/cca11/index.php/press-room-60/press-releases/547-women-s-tagging-workshop
- 5TH ANNUAL BASS ON THE FLY TOURNAMENT: Lake Fork Marina, Lake Fork, Texas Fee $55, $5 big-bass pot, $5 big-bluegill pots. Catch-and-release. Boat, Kayak & Bank fishing. Call Ted Warren (903) 850-7084. Website: www.bassonthefly.org.
AROUND THE CORNER
- JUNE 1 — LIVINGSTON PARISH BASSMASTERS HIGH SCHOOL STATE CHAMPIONS FUNDRAISER: 6 a.m.-3:30 p.m., Doiron’s Landing, Stephensville. Pick-your-partner event. Closed to waters east of the Atchafalaya River and south of U.S. 90. Fee $100 with $25 from each entry helping state high school-champion team with national high school tournament expenses. Call Jim Breaux (225) 772-3026 or John Chaney (225) 413-5142.
JUNE 1-9 — FEDERAL RECREATIONAL RED SNAPPER SEASON: 12:01 A.M. JUNE 1 THROUGH 12:01 A.M. JULY 11. FEDERAL WATERS, GULF OF MEXICO. LIMIT 2 PER DAY, 16-INCH MINIMUM SIZE.
- STATEWIDE TOURNAMENT & ANGLERS’ RODEO—S.T.A.R.: Through Sept. 1. Sponsored by CCA-Louisiana. Entry fee/CCA membership required. Call CCA-Louisiana (225) 952-9200.
- JUNE 5-7 — SWOLLFEST FISHING RODEO: Sand Dollar Marina, Grand Isle. Inshore, Offshore & Kayak divisions. Benefits MDA & Juvenile Diabetes Association. Website: www.swollfest.com.
JUNE 6-7 — REDEMPTORIST ATHLETIC/ALUMI ASSOCIATION FISHING RODEO: PORT FOURCHON. FEE $50 BOATERS/KAYAKERS, $25 YOUTH DIVISION (15 AND YOUNGER). ONLINE REGISTRATION: WWW.RHSBR.ORG/FISHINGRODEO.
JUNE 14 — WALKER HIGH POWERLIFTING BIG BASS BASH: 6:30 A.M.-3:30 P.M., DOIRON’S LANDING, STEPHENSVILLE. PICK-YOUR-PARTNER EVENT. CLOSED TO WATERS EAST OF THE ATCHAFALAYA RIVER AND SOUTH OF U.S. 90. FEE $100. CALL JOHN CHANEY (225) 413-5142 OR JAMES ROBERTS (225) 975-1923.
- SPRING SQUIRREL SEASON: Through Sunday, May 25, private lands only.
- SPRING INSHORE SHRIMP SEASON: 6 a.m. Monday, May 26, opening day, Louisiana “inside” waters from South Pass of the Mississippi River west to Freshwater Bayou Canal. Also opening of state “outside” waters (out to three miles) from the Atchafalaya River Ship Channel at Eugene Island west to Freshwater Bayou Canal.
- RECREATIONAL RED SNAPPER SEASON: Open in state waters. Daily limit 2 red snapper measuring 16 or more inches long. Anglers required to have fee-free Louisiana Recreational Offshore Landing Permit. Website: www.rolp.wlf.la.gov. Federal waters season June 1 through 12:01 a.m. June 10.
RECREATIONAL FISHERIES cLOSURES: Gag grouper through June 30; greater amberjack, June 1-July 31;gray triggerfish, through 2014 in state and federal waters.