- RED STICK FLY FISHERS PROGRAM: 7 p.m., Louisiana Room, Wildlife and Fisheries headquarters, Quail Drive, Baton Rouge. Call Greg Brignac (225) 892-4352. Website: www.rsff.org
- LOUISIANA ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION COMMISSION MEETING: 1 p.m., Fourth Floor Meeting Room, Wildlife and Fisheries headquarters, Quail Drive, Baton Rouge. Call Thomas Gresham (225) 765-0124.
- CANAL BANK BASS TOURNAMENT: 5-8 p.m., Canal Bank Club, Diversion Canal. Wednesdays through Aug. 13th. Membership fee $15/angler. Weekly fee $40/boat. Call Todd Rabalais (225) 413-3634. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BASSMASTER ELITE SERIES: Lake Dardanelle, Russellville, Ark. Fifth in 8-tournament series to determine 2015 Bassmaster Classic qualifiers. Website: www.bassmaster.com.
- FRIDAY NIGHT COOKIE JAR BASS TOURNAMENT: 7 p.m.-midnight, Morrison Parkway public landing, False River, New Roads. Fee $30/boat. Friday nights through Sept. 15. Call Guy Perkins (225) 293-3402.
- 8TH-ANNUAL ITALIAN-AMERICAN FISHING RODEO: Breton Sound Marina, Hopedale. Friday night Captain’s Party. Adult Division categories/$40: Redfish, Speckled Trout, Redfish under 27 inches, Flounder, Sheepshead, Black Drum, Bass, White Trout. Children’s Divisions (14-under)/no fee: Speckled Trout, Redfish under 27 inches, Flounder, Black Drum, Sheepshead, Redfish with most spots. Sponsorships available. Benefits Children’s Hospital. Online registration: www.italianamericanfishingrodeo.com.
- SPRING CATCH-N-EAT FLY FISHING TRIP: Louisiana marsh. Sponsored by Red Stick Fly Fishers. Registration required. Call Randy Leonpacher (225) 769-1895. Website: www.rsff.org.
- IFA REDFISH TOUR/LOUISIANA: Empire. Fee $75. Qualifier for Oct. 24-25 IFA Championship, Houma. Website: www.IFAtours.com.
- ORVIS FLY FISHING 201: 10 a.m.-noon, Orvis Shop, Perkins Rowe, Baton Rouge. On-the-water fly casting, tactics, techniques instruction. Also June 7. Call Orvis Shop (225) 757-7286.
AROUND THE CORNER
- MAY 18 — IFA KAYAK TOUR/LOUISIANA: Empire. Qualifier for Oct. 17-19 IFA Championship, Houma. Call (478) 836-4266. Website: www.IFAtours.com.
- MAY 22-25 — KROTZ SPRINGS SPORTMEN’S HERITAGE FESTIVAL: Nall Park, Krotz Springs. No fee. May 24 wild-game cook-off. Benefit St. Anthony’s Catholic Church. Call Holly Ardoin (337) 692-9599. Email: email@example.com. Website: www.kssportsmensheritagefestival.com.
- MAY 25 — MEMORIAL WEEKEND BLESSING OF THE BOATS: 2 p.m., Morrison Parkway public landing, False River, New Roads. Call Kenneth St. Romain (225) 718-1319.
- MAY 23-25 — 19TH-ANNUAL GRAND ISLE SPECKLED TROUT RODEO: Bridge Side Marina, Grand Isle. Louisiana State Master Angler-Speckled Trout event. Eight places daily in speckled trout. Other categories: Redfish, Redfish under 27 inches long, Flounder, Speepshead, Cobia, Mangrove Snapper, Drum & White Trout. Junior Categories in Speckled Trout, Redfish & Hardhead Catfish. Fee $20. Weigh-in hours: 5-7 p.m. May 23-24, Noon-2 p.m. May 25. Call Bridge Side Marina (985) 787-2419 or Bob Sevin (985) 787-2968.
JUNE 5-7 — SWOLLFEST FISHING RODEO: SAND DOLLAR MARINA, GRAND ISLE. INSHORE, OFFSHORE & KAYAK DIVISIONS. BENEFITS MDA & JUVENILE DIABETES ASSOCIATION. WEBSITE: WWW.SWOLLFEST.COM.
- SPRING SQUIRREL SEASON: Through May 25, private lands only. Daily limit 3. Possession limit 6 after opening day. Through May 11 on 41 state wildlife management areas (check La. Hunting Regulations pamphlets for open WMAs), but closed on Kisatchie National Forest, national wildlife refuges and Army Corps of Engineers lands.
- RECREATIONAL RED SNAPPER SEASON: Open in state waters. Daily limit 2 red snapper measuring 16 or more inches long. Anglers required to have fee-free Louisiana Recreational Offshore Landing Permit. Website: www.rolp.wlf.la.gov
GROUPER CLOSURE: Gag grouper take closed through June 30.
- RECREATIONAL GRAY TRIGGERFISH CLOSURE: State and federal waters through 2014.