There’s no end in sight for Southern’s NCAA postseason ban.
The Jaguars learned Friday that the NCAA subcommittee on data collection and reporting has extended the ban, which began in 2013 because Southern submitted “unusable data” on student-athletes’ Academic Progress Rates to the NCAA.
The original postseason ban expired last month when NCAA representatives visited the Southern campus for an update. Though the latest ban runs through Nov. 1, “It could be lifted earlier if (the Jaguars) submit the proper data and the subcommittee is satisfied,” NCAA spokesperson Michelle Hosick said.
That appears unlikely because a university task force has made numerous data submissions in response to NCAA requests during the past year without satisfying the governing body.
The NCAA reiterated Friday that Southern’s data continues to be “unusable” because it is “incomplete, inaccurate and not always supported by documentation.”
The university has hired new personnel and instituted new campus-wide record-keeping procedures to avoid similar shortcomings moving forward. But the unusable data dates as far back as 2013, making it difficult for the Jaguars to correct every bit of information.
“The NCAA staff and the subcommittee on data collection and reporting will continue to work with the school in an effort to help the school establish a process to accurately assess the academic status of student-athletes and to collect and report accurate APR data in the future,” Hosick said.
Southern Athletic Director William Broussard said the university is preparing a response to the NCAA notification letter.
“The committee possesses the authority to lift the postseason ban at any time, and we are closely engaged with NCAA representatives in an attempt to have the ban lifted as quickly as possible,” he said.
Broussard added that he expected to receive a new list of requirements from the NCAA “shortly” as well as “feedback on previously submitted data.”
The ban prevents any Jaguars team or student-athletes from participating in any NCAA postseason competition. Last March, the Southwestern Athletic Conference allowed Southern and fellow members Mississippi Valley State and Arkansas-Pine Bluff, who were operating under similar bans, to participate in the conference’s men’s and women’s basketball tournaments even though they would have been unable to accept the league’s automatic binds to the NCAA tournament if they won the conference tourney.
The NCAA agreed to allow the SWAC to send a substitute as its representative if an ineligible team won either tournament, but none of the ineligible teams won. The SWAC has not said whether a similar arrangement will be in place for this year’s tournaments.
Follow Les East on Twitter @EastAdvocate