Man sentenced for killing pedestrian
GRETNA — A 30-year-old Metairie man who ran over a pedestrian while driving while drunk two years ago has been sentenced to three years in prison.
Roger Grissom pleaded guilty last year to vehicular homicide in connection with the Feb. 19, 2011, death of Veronica Smith, 53.
Witnesses told the Jefferson Parish deputies that Grissom was driving aggressively when he struck Smith, who also was intoxicated as she was crossing a Metairie Street. She died at the scene.
State District Judge John Molaison sentenced Grissom on Wednesday to the minimum jail time.
Hunter rescued after boat sinks in marsh
NEW ORLEANS — A hunter whose boat sank in marshland south of New Orleans was found by the Coast Guard and sheriff’s deputies several hours after his wife reported him missing.
The Coast Guard said the 64-year-old man started a brush fire that helped authorities locate him Wednesday in marshes on the edge of Lake Salvador.
The man had gone hunting Tuesday morning and was due back by nightfall, but his 15-foot aluminum boat got stuck in mud and sank that afternoon.
A Coast Guard helicopter crew and a boat manned by St. Charles Parish S
heriff’s deputies searched for the man for roughly six hours before finding him.Man sentenced for 2010 N.O. slaying
NEW ORLEANS — A 23-year-old New Orleans man has pleaded guilty to manslaughter for gunning down a man in a wheelchair during a drive-by shooting in October 2010.
Derrick Allen was sentenced Wednesday to 15-year in prison and avoided a March trial on a charge of second-degree murder, which carries an automatic life sentence.
Prosecutors then dismissed the murder charge against one of his accused accomplices, Jazmun Tolbert, 23, and ordered his release from Orleans Parish Prison.
Allen and Tolbert, along with Joseph Peters, 23, were accused in the murder of Sedale Dorsey.
Peters was tried for murder last year, but a jury opted instead to find him guilty of manslaughter. Peters received the maximum sentence for that conviction, 40 years in prison.
Retrial delayed for ex-N.O. officer
NEW ORLEANS — A federal judge has agreed to postpone the retrial of a retired New Orleans police sergeant charged with helping cover up deadly shootings on a bridge after Hurricane Katrina.
U.S. District Judge Kurt Engelhardt on Wednesday moved the start of Gerard Dugue’s retrial from March 11 to May 13. Lawyers for Dugue and the Justice Department had asked for more time to prepare.
Dugue’s first trial ended in a mistrial when Engelhardt ruled a prosecutor may have unfairly influenced the jury by mentioning the name of a man beaten to death by a New Orleans police officer in an unrelated case.
Police shot six unarmed residents, killing two, on the Danziger Bridge several days after the 2005 storm.
Dugue is charged with writing a false report on the shootings.
The Associated Press