NEW YORK (AP) — Sony Pictures has canceled the Dec. 25 release of “The Interview” after hackers threatened terrorists attacks and the largest multiplex chains in North America pulled the film.

In a statement, Sony said it was cancelling “The Interview” “in light of the decision by the majority of our exhibitors not to show the film.” The studio said it respected and shared in the exhibitors’ concerns.

“We stand by our filmmakers and their right to free expression and are extremely disappointed by this outcome,” read the statement.

Regal Cinemas, AMC and Cinemark theater chains had earlier announced their plans to pull the movie from their theaters. These chains operate theaters in Baton Rouge, New Orleans and Lafayette.