LSU isn’t giving up hope that Mike VI will attend one or more home football games in 2015. But it’s not pushing the point either.
Mike, LSU’s live tiger mascot, declined to attend any football games in 2014 by refusing to enter his trailer. LSU, in a news release Monday, said attempts will be made to load Mike into his trailer for the first three home games of the 2015 season, including this Saturday’s game against McNeese State.
A tweet from Mike VI’s official Twitter account said he’ll make the final decision:
LSU will attempt to load me into my trailer for the first 3 home games. As always, it's up to me. http://t.co/LoXn3PjrTS— Mike VI (@MikeTigerVI) August 31, 2015
A decision will be made about the remaining four home games based on how the first three games go, LSU’s news release said.
“Mike’s behavior last year demonstrated that he was unwilling to load for the games,” said F. King Alexander, president of LSU. “We hope he will come to the games this year, but we are prepared to revisit our decision in early October if he chooses not to load.”
The live mascot has long been a part of the LSU community and its athletic traditions. Since Mike VI arrived on campus in 2007, he has attended 32 of the 57 home games, LSU reported:
• In 2007, he attended all but the first home football game.
• In 2008, he attended the first two home games but no others.
• In 2009, he attended all but the first home game.
• In 2010, he attended all but two home games.
• In 2011, he attended every home game.
• In 2012, he attended four games and missed four due to either a wet field or his unwillingness to load.
• In 2013, he attended three games.
• In 2014, he did not attend any home games.
“Mike’s health and well-being are always our top priority,” Alexander said. “We are grateful to our School of Veterinary Medicine for the extraordinary care they provide our beloved mascot.”