Wednesday, Jan. 6
- MEDITATION AND DHARMA SHARING: 6:15 p.m., Mid City Zen Center, 3248 Castiglione St, New Orleans. The center practices Sangha in the tradition of Vietnamese Zen teacher Thich Naht Hanh: two silent 20-minute sitting meditations with a period of walking meditation in between), then a reading. http://zmcneworleans.org/
- MEDITATE AND OPEN THE AKASHIC RECORDS: 7 p.m., Wholistic Health, 1581 Carol Sue Ave., Suite D, Gretna. Group shares information about meditation, Akashic records and alternative healing. All are welcome. $5 donation.
Thursday, Jan. 7
- GULF COAST FAITH FORMATION CONFERENCE: 2 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 7, through 6 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 9; Pontchartrain Center, 4545 Williams Blvd., Kenner. The Archdioeces of New Orleans sponsors the annual gathering with the theme, “God-given Dignity -- Respecting All of Life.” Thursday events for clergy track. $125 and up. gcff.org.
Friday, Jan. 8
- CATHOLIC BOY SCOUT RETREAT: 6 p.m. Friday, Jan. 8 through noon Sunday, Jan. 10, Camp Abbey, 77002 KC Camp Road, Covington. arch-no.org.
Saturday, Jan. 9
- CATHOLIC SCHOOLS APPLICATION DAY: 8 a.m., Saturday, Jan. 9, Archdiocese of New Orleans Catholic High Schools throughout the metropolitan area. . Students must attend Application Day at their selected high school). Schools will collect a nonrefundable, nontransferable, one time $20 application fee payable to that high school. ocs.arch-no.org.
- THE ANCIENT WISDOM DISCUSSION GROUP: 2 p.m., Saturday, Jan. 9. Jefferson Parish East Bank Regional Library, 4747 West Napoleon Ave., Metairie. Free. Scott Ramsey leads a discussion with the Theosophical Society on such topics as reincarnation, metaphysics, humanity and the universe. Discussions adhere to a non-dogmatic quest for truth. For more see: www.theosophical.org.
Friday, Jan. 15
- ‘SHE LAUGHS’ CONFERENCE: New Orleans: 6 p.m., Friday, Jan. 15, Lakeview Christian Center, 5885 Fleur De Lis Dr., New Orleans. Partnering with Vintage Church, national evangelical Christian speaker Katy McCown encourages life modeled by the Proverbs 31 woman: “clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future.”