- SATURDAY, FEB. 27 AND SATURDAY, MARCH 5
BIRD WATCHING CLASSES: 10 A.M. TO NOON, COMMUNITY CHURCH UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST, 6690 FLEUR DE LIS. THE ORLEANS AUDUBON SOCIETY OFFERS A BEGINNING BIRD-WATCHING CLASS CONSISTING OF TWO CLASSROOM LECTURES FOLLOWED BY THREE FIELD TRIPS TO LOCAL BIRDWATCHING HOTSPOTS. $100. (985) 863-8516, ORLEANSAUDUBON@AOL.COM.
SATURDAY, FEB. 27
- GUERILLA GARDEN SPRING KICK-OFF: 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. party, 3 p.m. planting workshop, Guerrilla Garden, 600 Charbonnet St. The Backyard Gardeners Network invites the community to celebrate the opening of the Guerrilla Garden at a party featuring free food, music, a minimarket, family activities and face painting. (504) 875-2948, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- PALMER PARK ARTS MARKET: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Palmer Park, South Carrollton at South Claiborne. Shop for handmade arts and crafts at this monthly market that also features food and music. Presented by the Arts Council. Free. www.artsneworleans.org.
SATURDAY, MARCH 5, AND SUNDAY, MARCH 6
- SPRING FIESTA WEEKEND I: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., 826 St. Ann St. (headquarters) and various sites in the French Quarter. The annual cultural festival features walking tours, home tours and a brunch. Festival website provides info on times, locations and fees for each event. (504) 581-1367, www.springfiestanola.com.
SATURDAY, MARCH 5
- PELICAN GREENHOUSE ROSE AND PLANT SALE: 9 a.m. to noon. Pelican Greenhouse, off Henry Thomas (Golf) Drive south of the I-610 underpass. The first greenhouse sale of the spring/summer season features many old garden roses. Free. (504) 483-9464, email@example.com.
- HIKE THE GREENWAY: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Basin Street Trailhead. Hike the Lafitte Greenway from Basin St. to Bernadotte, a 3-mile walk guided by Greenway Ambassadors. Block Party at conclusion with live music and free shuttle back to Basin St. Free. (504) 702-6776, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- FRERET MARKET: Noon to 4 p.m., Freret at Napoleon. This outdoor market features art, crafts, vintage goods, pet adoptions, food and music. Free. www.freretmarket.org.
SUNDAY, MARCH 6
- PARADIGM GARDENS TOUR: 10 a.m., Paradigm Gardens, 1131 S. Rampart St. Get a guided tour of the Paradigm Gardens site in Central City, a working farm complete with goats and beehives. Free. www.paradigmgardensnola.com.
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 9
- HARRISON AVENUE MARKETPLACE: 5 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., 801 Harrison Ave. This outdoor event in Lakeview features more than 75 vendors of food, arts and crafts and features live music and activities for children. Free. (504) 535-4486, www.harrisonavenuemarketplace.org.
FRIDAY, MARCH 11, TO SUNDAY, MARCH 13
- HOME & GARDEN SHOW: Noon to 8 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday, Mercedes-Benz Superdome. Home Builders Association of New Orleans hold 61st annual show, featuring hundreds of vendors and seminar. $15. www.neworleanshomeshows.com.
SATURDAY, MARCH 12, AND SUNDAY, MARCH 13
- SPRING FIESTA WEEKEND II: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., 826 St. Ann St. (headquarters) and various sites in the French Quarter. The annual cultural festival features walking tours, home tours, the public presentation of the Spring Fiesta Queen and her court, and a carriage parade through the Vieux Carré. Festival website provides info on times, locations and fees for each event. (504) 581-1367, www.springfiestanola.com.
SATURDAY, MARCH 12
- SPRING GARDEN DAY: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Hammond Research Station, 21549 Old Covington Hwy., Hammond. The LSU AgCenter and Tangipahoa Parish Master Gardeners Association host the annual event, featuring kids activities, plant sales, gardening seminars, gardening and agriculture exhibits, and concessions. $5 per vehicle. (985) 543-4125, www.lsuagcenter.com/hammond.
- PIETY STREET MARKET: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., 612 Piety St. This indoor and outdoor market offers dozens of vendors purveying food, refreshments, vintage goods, art, crafts and live music. Free. (504) 269-3982.
- ANNUAL PARKS AND PARKWAYS PLANT SALE: 8 a.m. to noon, Department of Parks and Parkways, 2829 Gentilly Blvd. Sale offers a large selection of trees and plants. Dan Gill will be on hand to answer questions and aid in selection. Free. (504) 620-2224, www.parkwaypartnersnola.org.
FRIDAY, MARCH 18, AND SATURDAY, MARCH 19
- NORTHSHORE GARDEN AND PLANT SALE: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., St. Tammany Parish arigrounds, Covington. More than 60 vendors, talks and a plant doctor. $5. (985) 875-2635.
SATURDAY, MARCH 19
- DAYLILY HYBRIDIZING BASICS: 9:30 a.m., East Bank Regional Library, 4747 W. Napoleon Ave., Metairie. Dr. Henry Bradford will discuss the hybridizing efforts he uses to develop daylilies and explain the basics of hybridization. Free. (504) 889-8143, email@example.com.
SATURDAY, APRIL 2, AND SUNDAY APRIL 3
- SPRING GARDEN SHOW: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, New Orleans Botanical Garden, City Park. Explore the garden while taking in 50 exhibits, enjoying family friendly activities, and purchasing plants. A series of talks and a plant health clinic round out the offerings. $8. (504) 483-9471, www.neworleanscitypark.com.
SATURDAY, APRIL 16, AND SUNDAY, APRIL 17
- SHOTGUN HOUSE TOUR: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Garden District (headquarters TBA). Tour seven private Garden District homes that showcase the livability and versatility of New Orleans’ iconic shotgun houses. $25 in advance, $30 at the door. (504) 581-7032, www.prcno.org.
MONDAY, APRIL 18
- BOTANICAL GARDEN SPRING SYMPOSIUM: 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., New Orleans Botanical Garden, Pavilion of the Two Sisters, 3 Victory Ave. A cocktail reception precedes a talk by one of the world’s foremost horticulturists and author of several books on horticulture, Dr. Allan Armitage, titled “Tales of the Garden.” Event includes an auction of rare plants. $45. (504) 483-9473, www.neworleanscitypark.com.
SATURDAY, APRIL 30
- ST. FRANCISVILLE SPRING GARDEN STROLL: 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., West Feliciana AgCenter, 5924 Commerce St., St. Francisville. The Feliciana Master Gardeners of the LSU AgCenter present a tour of beautiful private gardens in West Feliciana Parish. $20. (225) 635-3614, www.strancisvillespringstroll.org.
MONDAY, MAY 2, TO WEDNESDAY, MAY 4
- MISSISSIPPI STATE GARDEN CONFERENCE: various times, Golden Nugget Hotel & Casino, 151 Beach Blvd., Biloxi, Mississippi. Enjoy days of talks by the likes of garden gurus Felder Rushing and Gary Bachman at the annual conference of the Mississippi State Master Gardeners. $135 and up. (228) 424-7059, firstname.lastname@example.org.