When those wealthy Americans, newly arrived to the old city, built their homes in the Garden District, they designed them to be huge – and then they surrounded them with massive gardens. This house is no exception: At over 9,000 square feet, it has room for a library, a great room and even a wine cellar.
“Sitting in the heart of the Garden District, this circa-1848 historic center hall house underwent a massive renovation in 2012,” said Tricia King, the listing agent with Gardner Realtors. “That added a state-of-the-art kitchen with a 10-burner Southbend stove, Miele appliances and an Elan Home Audio Video system.”
The large foyer is at once impressive and welcoming. The recently restored mahogany banister is just beneath the intricate, original pierced crown moldings, dating back to the 1880s, restored by plasterer Tommy Lachin.
“This house also has a Pelican water softening and purification system, a 33KW whole-home generator by Generac and professional landscape lighting,” said King. “Not only that, but it’s on a coveted triple… lot and has an expansive pool.”
This home was featured in the 2016 Preservation Resource Center's Holiday Home Tour.
An 1848 rendering by C. A. Hedin suggests that the house was constructed during the height of New Orleans’ booming shipping and banking economy in the mid-19th century. The two-and-a-half-story wood structure is raised on brick piers and has a central stairway leading to the gallery on the second floor of the home. Classical Revival dominates the home’s design, featuring symmetrical double-hung windows, Corinthian columns and dentils.
The living and dining rooms feature recent acquisitions from artists such as Nicolas Van Der Plas and Norberto Martini. Original pocket doors and wide-plank pine floors in the entertaining spaces flow into a state-of-the-art kitchen with modern amenities such as a river sink in the center island for icing down drinks or serving chilled hors d’oeuvres, a wine Skybar, and Miele appliances.
Around 1918, the home became the headquarters and main storefront for Conway Baby Shop. Vintage newspaper advertisements promoted Conway’s as a source for refined children’s clothing.
The Garden District is one of the most beautiful neighborhoods in the city with its large gardens and well-appointed houses hidden behind layers of foliage and flowers. Its tree-shaded streets are lined with one excellent example after another of Greek Revival, Queen Anne and Italianate mansions that evoke a view of what life must have been like in New Orleans in the heyday of the mid-1800s. The neighborhood contains a wide variety of home styles, including palatial mansions, center-hall cottages and shotguns, and there’s even a smattering of new construction here and there. Its Magazine Street corridor contains many antique and specialty shops, world-famous restaurants, story-filled cemeteries, several of the city’s finest private and parochial schools and grand and graceful iron fences. Plus, the historic St. Charles Avenue streetcar clang-clangs its way along the edge of the neighborhood all day long. The Garden District came to be developed in the early 1800s as Americans flooded into the old Creole city of New Orleans. These later residents felt out of place with the slow pace of life and with the Creoles’ unwillingness to include outsiders in their businesses and social lives. These brash newcomers wanted residential spaces large enough to build the prestigious homes they felt would outshine the French and Spanish bungalows and town houses that filled the Vieux Carré. The Livaudais plantation was subdivided in the 1820s for the Americans to exercise a new style of residential planning whereby a garden surrounded each home. Many large plantation-style houses were soon constructed by such noted local architects as Henry Howard, Lewis Reynolds, James and William Freret and James Gallier Sr. and Jr. The Garden District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and was named a National Historic Landmark in 1974.
Angela Carll may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
About this House
2912 Prytania St. in the Garden District
9,407 square feet
Four full/two half
Tricia King, Realtor
1820 St. Charles Avenue
Licensed in Louisiana and Mississippi, USA