SATURDAY, MARCH 7
- CREATING BONSAI FROM GARDEN CENTER STOCK: 9 a.m. to noon, Garden Study Center, New Orleans Botanical Garden. Jim Osborne leads this hands-on workshop at which participants will create a bonsai from provided materials. $35 by advance registration. (504) 483-9473, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ORGANIC VEGETABLE GARDENING BASICS: Noon to 2 p.m., The Urban Farmstead, 1730 Clio St. Learn about preparing beds, choosing between starts and seeds, managing pests, fertilizing, mulching, composting and much more. $10 suggested donation. email@example.com.
- FRERET MARKET: Noon to 4 p.m., Freret at Napoleon. Outdoor market offers more than 90 vendors of food, art, crafts, live music and flea market finds. Free. www.freretmarket.org.
SUNDAY, MARCH 8
- CAMELLIA WORKSHOP: 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., 2 p.m. lecture, Longue Vue House and Gardens, 7 Bamboo Road. Experts with the Camellia Club of New Orleans host their annual event, which includes a lecture on the growing and care of camellias, as well as demonstrations of grafting, air-layering and growing camellias from cuttings. Scions grafted to understock will be available for purchase. Free. (504) 616-4378, firstname.lastname@example.org.
TUESDAY, MARCH 10
- PAINTING THE TOWN: 6 p.m., Preservation Resource Center, 923 Tchoupitoulas St. Learn all about color for historic homes from color guru and ASID member Louis Aubert and Helm Paint’s Joe Helm. $5. (504) 581-7032, www.prcno.org.
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 11
- HARRISON AVENUE MARKETPLACE: 5 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., Lakeview Grocery parking lot, 801 Harrison Ave. The popular midweek market returns for 2015 with arts and crafts, food vendors, live music and refreshments. Free. (504) 535-4486, www.harrisonavenuemarketplace.org.
FRIDAY TO SUNDAY, MARCH 13 TO MARCH 15
- NEW ORLEANS HOME & GARDEN SHOW: Noon to 8 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday, Mercedes-Benz Superdome, 1500 Sugar Bowl Drive. The 60th annual home show features exhibitors, demonstrations and guest appearances. $15. (504) 232-6361, Christian39@cox.net.
SATURDAY, MARCH 14
- PARKWAY PARTNERS TREE AND PLANT SALE: 8 a.m. to noon, New Orleans department of Parks and Parkways, 2829 Gentilly Blvd. The annual sale offers dozens of trees and plants ready for the spring garden. (504) 620-2224, email@example.com.
- PELICAN GREENHOUSE ROSE SALE: 9 a.m. to noon, Pelican Greenhouse (off Henry Thomas/Golf Drive just south of the I-610 underpass). Dozens of roses, tropicals and bedding plants are offered at this first greenhouse sale of the 2015 season. Free. (504) 483-9464, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- PIETY STREET MARKET: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., 612 Piety St. Indoor and outdoor market offers festive array of creative art, jewelry, crafts, vintage clothes, collectibles and more. Free. (504) 269-3982, email@example.com.
- SPRING GARDEN DAY: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., LSU AgCenter Hammond Research Station, 21549 Old Covington Highway, Hammond. The event features kids’ activities, plant sales, gardening seminars, gardening and agriculture exhibits, and concessions. $5 per vehicle. (985) 748-5462, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- IRIS SOCIETY MEETING: 10 a.m. to noon, Longue Vue House & Gardens, 7 Bamboo Road. Patrick O’Connor discusses “Irises in South Louisiana Gardens.” All attendees go home with a free iris. Free. email@example.com.
TUESDAY, MARCH 17
- THIRD TUESDAY IN THE SCULPTURE GARDEN: 9 a.m. to noon. Sydney and Walda Besthoff Sculpture Garden, City Park. Volunteers invited to aid Master Gardeners and Iris Society members in weed identification and prevention. Free. (504) 658-4153, firstname.lastname@example.org.
SATURDAY MARCH 21
- SECRET GARDENS TOUR: 8:30 a.m. to noon, guided tours; noon to 5:30 p.m., self-guided tours. Tour headquarters at 2324 Prytania St. Tour 15 beautifully landscaped New Orleans gardens at this annual event to raise money for brain and spinal cord injury research. $25 self-guided tour, $60 guided tour. (719) 306-6871, www.secretgardenstour.org.
- SPRING FIESTA FRENCH QUARTER WALKING TOUR I: 9:30 a.m., departs 826 St. Ann St. The tour of the Vieux Carré is led by a licensed guide. $20. www.springfiesta.com.
SUNDAY, MARCH 22
- SPRING FIESTA FRENCH QUARTER WALKING TOUR II: 9:30 a.m., departs 826 St. Ann St. The tour of the Vieux Carré is led by a licensed guide. $20. www.springfiesta.com.
- SPRING FIESTA FRENCH QUARTER HOME TOUR I: 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., departs 826 St. Ann St. The self-guided tour takes visitors inside in Vieux Carré homes. $30. www.springfiesta.com.
TUESDAY, MARCH 24
- SHOTGUNS REVISITED: 5:30 p.m. reception, 6 p.m.. presentation, Preservation Resource Center, 923 Tchoupitoulas St. Delve into the origins of the shotgun house type with architectural historian Elln Weiss of the Tulane School of Architecture. $5. (504) 581-7032, www.prcno.org.
THURSDAY TO SUNDAY, MARCH 26 TO MARCH 29
- BIG BOOK SALE: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday to Saturday, Noon to 5 p.m. Sunday, Pontchartrain Center, 4545 Williams Blvd., Kenner. The Friends of Jefferson Parish Library hosts a sale of 65,000 books, including many home design and gardening titles. Free. (504) 455-2665, friendsJPL@yahoo.com.
SATURDAY, MARCH 28
- SHOTGUN HOUSE TOUR: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., the Irish Channel. This self-guided tour of seven shogun houses demonstrates the versatility of this iconic New Orleans house type. $25 advance, $30 day of tour. (504) 581-7032, www.prcno.org.
- GROWING VEGETABLES: 10 a.m. to noon, Garden Study Center, New Orleans Botanical Garden. In the third installment of “Lessons with Lee,” Lee Rouse, of the LSU AgCenter, offers a practical overview of growing vegetables from seed in the spring garden. $10 by advance registration. (504) 483-9473, email@example.com.
- ARTS MARKET OF NEW ORLEANS: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Palmer Park (South Carrollton at South Claiborne). The market features art and crafts vendors, plus food, music and a kids’ tent. Free. (504) 523-1465.
- DAYLILY SOCIETY MEETING: 9:30 a.m. to noon, Eastbank Regional Library, 4747 W. Napoleon Ave., Metairie. Dr. Henry Bradford of Covington will discuss hybridizing day lilies. Free. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SPRING FIESTA FRENCH QUARTER WALKING TOUR III: 9:30 a.m., departs 826 St. Ann St. The tour is led by a licensed guide. $20. www.springfiesta.com.
SUNDAY, MARCH 29
- SPRING FIESTA FRENCH QUARTER WALKING TOUR IV: 9:30 a.m., departs 826 St. Ann St. The tour of the Vieux Carré is led by a licensed guide. $20. www.springfiesta.com.
- SPRING FIESTA FRENCH QUARTER HOME TOUR II: 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., departs 826 St. Ann St. The self-guided tour takes visitors inside in Vieux Carré homes. $30. www.springfiesta.com.
TUESDAY, APRIL 7
- NOBG FOUNDATION SYMPOSIUM - JENKS FARMER: 5 p.m. cocktail reception and garden tours, 6:15 p.m. lecture by Jenks Farmer, 7 p.m. Q & A and book signing, Pavilion of the Two Sisters, New Orleans Botanical Garden. The second annual symposium (sponsored by the New Orleans Botanical Garden Foundation) features a talk and book-signing by plantsman Augustus Jenkins “Jenks” Farmer, who espouses old style, earth-friendly gardening practices. $45. (504) 483-9473, www.symposium.nobotanicalgarden.com.
Send listings for the Home and Garden calendar to email@example.com.