SATURDAY, JAN. 31
- PROPER PRUNING: 10 a.m. to noon, Garden Study center, New Orleans Botanical Garden. “Lessons with Lee” is a series of monthly horticultural classes taught by Lee Rouse of the LSU AgCenter on timely topics. The inaugural lecture is “Proper Pruning,” which will cover techniques, timing and tools. $10 with advance registration. (504) 483-9473, firstname.lastname@example.org.
WEDNESDAY, FEB. 4
- NEW ORLEANS ROSE SOCIETY MEETING: 7:30 p.m., Whitney Bank Room, 441 Metairie Road. Join members of the society to learn about pruning and spring care of roses. Free. (504) 368-6885.
THURSDAY, FEB. 5
- EUROPEAN ROSES LECTURE: 7 p.m., Sanctuary of John Calvin Presbyterian Church, 4201 Transcontinental Drive, Metairie. Pam and Claude Graves of the Dallas Historical Society and the Heritage Rose Foundation discuss European Roses at the meeting of the New Orleans Old Garden Rose Society. $5. (504) 831-0525.
FRIDAY AND SATURDAY, FEB. 6 AND FEB. 7
- GULF DISTRICT ROSE SOCIETY WORKSHOP: 2 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Friday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Clarion Inn and Conference Center, 1500 La. 30, Gonzales. “Better Roses for Better Gardens” covers all aspects of growing roses successfully in the local climate. $65 weekend, $40 Saturday (include meal). email@example.com.
SATURDAY, FEB. 7
- FRERET MARKET: Noon to 4 p.m., Freret at Napoleon. Outdoor market offers more than 90 vendors of food, art, crafts, live music and flea market finds. Free. www.freretmarket.org.
- ROSE PROPAGATION WORKSHOP: 10:30 a.m., Garden Study Center, New Orleans Botanical Garden. Rose enthusiast Don Hanson presents a hands-on workshop in how to take rose cuttings and having them root successfully. Materials included in admission fee. $15 with advance registration. (504) 483-9473, firstname.lastname@example.org.
SATURDAY, FEB. 28
- ARTS MARKET OF NEW ORLEANS: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Palmer Park (South Carrollton at South Claiborne). The market features art and crafts vendors, plus food, music and a kids’ tent. Free. (504) 523-1465.
- EVERYTHING’S COMING UP ROSES: 10 a.m. to noon, Garden Study Center, New Orleans Botanical Garden. “Lessons with Lee” is a series of monthly horticultural classes taught by Lee Rouse of the LSU AgCenter on timely topics. “Everything’s Coming Up Roses” explores the world of roses and how to care for them. $10 with advance registration. (504) 483-9473, email@example.com.
Send listings for the Home and Garden calendar to firstname.lastname@example.org