300 Kenner

The Orleans/Kenner streetcar chugs through New Orleans. 


Kenner’s roots date back to the same year New Orleans was founded: 1718. On a map from that year, the area now known a Kenner was called “Cannes Brulee,” because the French had seen the Tchoupitoulas Indians burning cane in the area to drive out game. Soon after, plantations were developed to grow sugar cane. By the 1840s, four Kenner brothers owned and operated plantations in the area that is now Kenner.

In 1855, the city of Kennerville was founded and formally incorporated. By 1886 Italian and Germans had developed the land around Kenner into truck farms to serve New Orleans.

Between 1915 and 1931 a New Orleans streetcar line ran between New Orleans and Kenner.

The area began to grow in the mid 20th century after the swampland toward Lake Pontchartrain was drained and filled in. About the same time, Kenner was chosen as the site of the international airport. The population had tripled by the 1950s, with a population of 17,037. Today, the city has the city’s 7th largest population in the state, with 67,000 people.