300 Honduras

A Honduran-run taco truck caters to Honduran day workers on Elysian Fields Avenue near Lowes.

The relationship between Honduras and New Orleans began with the city’s fruit companies at the turn of the 19th century. Both New Orleans-based United and Standard fruit companies had large presences in Honduras starting in about 1899. Both companies grew bananas in Honduras and imported them to the United States through the Port of New Orleans. The head of United Fruit Company, Samuel Zemurray, even orchestrated a coup in Honduras.

Hondurans moved to New Orleans to work for the companies, either on the docks or in offices. Some Hondurans who worked for the fruit companies stayed in Honduras, but sent their children to Catholic schools in New Orleans.

A greater number of Hondurans began moving to New Orleans in the 1950s, settling in the lower Garden District. The immigrants found a church home at St. Teresa of Avila on Prytania Street, which features a statue of Our Lady of Suyapa, the patron saint of Honduras. The population gradually migrated to Kenner, Terrytown and other areas in Jefferson Parish. In 2010, Jefferson Parish had the fourth largest Honduran population, by county, in the United States.

In 2005, following Hurricane Katrina, thousands of Hondurans moved to New Orleans to help repair the flooded city.