300 Rubensteins

A Rubensteins window display greets customers and passersby.

Courtesy of Rubenstein

Two shops along Canal Street, Meyer the Hatter and Rubensteins, are remnants of an era when the street was the center of commerce in New Orleans.

Now, both located on the corner of Canal and St. Charles, the two shops are destination stores for sharpdressed men. Rubensteins is an Esquire “Gold Standard” store, and GQ has named Meyer the Hatter a top specialty shop. Sam H. Meyer opened Meyer’s Hat Box in 1894 on the first block of St. Charles Avenue selling Stetson hats and men’s ties. The shop eventually landed in its current location at 120 St. Charles Ave., in 1961.

The shop is still owned by the Meyers. Sam Meyer II, grandson of the original Sam Meyer, still works at the shop. Nearby, is Rubensteins, a haberdashery at 102 St. Charles Ave., founded in 1924 by Russian immigrant Morris Rubenstein. He was later joined by his brothers Elkin and Sam and the shop became Rubenstein Bros. Through the years, the store has expanded from one building to today’s seven buildings. The shop has been at the forefront of American fashion, with a relationship with Ralph Lauren that dates to the 1950s and as the first store in the U.S. to carry Italian designer Ermenegildo Zegna.