The New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary was the first institution created by the Southern Baptist Convention. At a 1917 convention in New Orleans, the Southern Baptist Convention founded the Baptist Bible Institute in the city to focus on missionary work and specifically as a gateway to such work in Central America.
In 1946, the institution was reshaped into a seminary, though missions were still to be the institute’s primary focus.
The seminary started in the Garden District, and in the 1950s moved to a larger, 75-acre campus in Gentilly. The campus was designed by Louisiana architect, A. Hays Town.
The seminary, which offers accredited undergraduate and graduate degrees, has satellite campuses in five Southeastern states and has more than 3,700 students.