Marigny carjacking suspects booked

New Orleans police have arrested both suspects in two armed carjackings during the weekend in the Marigny.

Marvin Carter, one of the suspects booked Wednesday, was arrested in November 2011 on a count of first-degree murder after he allegedly shot and killed a man and injured seven others on Bourbon Street during Halloween night that year.

Derrin Riley, 18, turned himself in at police headquarters.

Investigators identified Carter, 21, as a suspect in the recent carjackings through forensic evidence, according to Officer Garry Flot, a department spokesman. Riley was arrested in the 3000 block of Ursula Spencer Way in Desire and booked with two counts of armed robbery, carjacking and with a parole violation, Flot said.

The carjackings took place Saturday.

One was in the 800 block of Clouet Street, and the other was in the 400 block of Marigny Street. In the second incident, which took place about 8:30 p.m., Riley and Carter allegedly held up two women who had a 3-year-old child with them.

In the Bourbon Street shootings, prosecutors last year dropped the first-degree murder charges against Carter, who was 19 at the time. They cited a lack of evidence and noted that a grand jury declined to hand up an indictment.

NOAH figure’s trial pushed back again

Already pushed back once, the trial of Stacey Jackson — the central figure in the NOAH scandal of 2008 — has been delayed yet again.

Her trial, originally set for Aug. 28 and then moved to late October, is now scheduled to begin Jan. 13 in front of U.S. District Judge Mary Ann Vial Lemmon.

Jackson faces charges that she took kickbacks from contractors who worked for the City Hall-funded house-gutting program — some of whom didn’t do the work the city paid them for.

Jackson’s attorney, Eddie Castaing, has said in court papers he plans to file “at least two substantive motions” — one questioning whether the government indicted Jackson before the five-year statute of limitations expired; and one alleging “prejudicial misconduct” by prosecutors.

The latter is apparently a reference to the online-commenting scandal that let to the resignation of U.S. Attorney Jim Letten and two of his top lieutenants; one of the prosecutors referenced the NOAH scandal in a couple of online rants.

Another defendant in the NOAH case, contractor Richard Hall, sought to use those comments to have the charges against him quashed. A judge refused to go along, and Hall eventually pleaded guilty.

Compiled by

the New Orleans bureau