In addition to a fire in Broadmoor that killed five people, the New Orleans Fire Department on Tuesday responded to one incident in which two men were burned and another in which a man was rescued from a burning Mid-City apartment and treated for smoke inhalation.

About 2:15 a.m., firefighters were called to the Fountainbleau Apartments at Tulane and South Carrollton avenues to investigate a report of a fire.

The first crews arrived about seven minutes later and saw smoke billowing out of a second-floor apartment.

Firefighters jumped over a metal gate to get onto the property and then kicked in the door of a unit.

They found a man asleep in his bed. He was taken outside and treated for smoke inhalation, said Capt. Edwin Holmes Jr., an NOFD spokesman.

Firefighters determined the incident began at an electrical outlet in the kitchen, and the fire was contained to two apartments.

The incident was reported under control at 3:36 a.m.

Later, firefighters responded to a report of a fire with injuries at 2830 Josephine St. about 7:40 a.m.

They found a 78-year-old man and his 28-year-old grandson sitting on the front steps, said Firefighter Michael Williams, a department spokesman.

The men said the grandfather’s robe had caught on fire as he tried to warm up the stove.

The grandson told firefighters that he heard his mother screaming for help and ran to assist her.

He struggled with his grandfather, who refused to let go of his walker, but was able to get the robe off him and put out the fire.

The grandfather suffered second-degree burns to the front and right side of his body, Williams said. His grandson received first-degree burns on his left forearm and hand.

Both men were treated at a hospital.

In the day’s most costly fire, the NOFD responded to a single-home fire in the 4300 block of South Miro Street about 12:15 a.m.

A 77-year-old woman, a 33-year-old woman and her three children, ages 12, 11 and 7, died in that fire. The children’s father was the only person able to escape from the home.

The cause remained under investigation Tuesday afternoon.

Follow Danny Monteverde on Twitter, @DCMonteverde.