Perez pleads not guilty to kidnapping in ‘house of horrors’ case _lowres

Mario Perez Roque

NOPD: Shooting victim to be booked in murder

A man seriously wounded in an October shooting in Algiers will be booked on a second-degree murder count in connection with a separate September killing, New Orleans police said Tuesday.

Police allege that Charles Larvinette, 26, fatally shot Stephen Mosley just after Mosley had mowed the lawn in front of his house in the 1100 block of Vallette Street. Relatives said Mosley, 33, was the father of five children.

Larvinette has been in the hospital since he was shot Oct. 29 in the 3000 block of Magellan Street. Police intend to book him when he is released.

Police did not give a motive for the killing of Mosley and did not say whether they think the two shootings were related.

Bail set at $250,000 for kidnapping suspect

The man accused of kidnapping a Kenner woman and imprisoning her in a Mid-City apartment rigged with trap doors and two-way mirrors was ordered held Tuesday on an additional $250,000 bail.

Mario Perez, 56, already was being held on $35,000 bail, but Commissioner Paul Schneider increased that at Perez’s bond hearing in 24th Judicial District Court in Gretna.

A Spanish translator was not present, so Schneider scheduled another hearing for Thursday morning to consider a motion from the Jefferson Parish District Attorney’s Office to hold Perez without bail.

Perez was arrested earlier this month and accused of kidnapping a 36-year-old co-worker after she spurned his romantic advances. Perez and an accomplice allegedly took her at gunpoint to a house in Mid-City, where she was bound to a chair outfitted with straps, police have said. The house included interior surveillance cameras and a hole dug into the floor under the bed.

A photograph of the victim, blown up to the size of a movie poster, hung on a wall in the house.

The woman said Perez had taken her to the house once before and prevented her from leaving, forcing her to escape each time.

Perez’s brother told The New Orleans Advocate that Perez has a history of mental problems.

Perez also has a criminal record that includes a conviction for kidnapping and attempted murder in New Jersey and an arrest in Jefferson Parish on second-degree murder and the illegal use of a firearm.

Three men shot while driving in Metairie

Three men were shot and injured early Tuesday in Metairie, officials said.

Shortly after midnight, the three men — ages, 20, 21 and 25 — were traveling on David Drive near West Napoleon Avenue when they reported someone shooting at them, said Col. John Fortunato, a spokesman for the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office.

All three men were shot in the arm, Fortunato said, but they continued driving. When they reached David Drive and West Metairie Avenue, their vehicle hit a curb. They continued on David Drive before leaving the vehicle and running to a nearby fast-food restaurant, Fortunato said. From there, a friend drove them to Ochsner Medical Center.

The men could not provide any information on who shot them or on the other vehicle involved, Fortunato said. Shell casings were recovered near West Napoleon Avenue and David Drive.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the JPSO Investigations Bureau at (504) 364-5300.

89-year-old man carjacked in Mid-City

An 89-year-old man told New Orleans police that someone entered his vehicle in the 300 block of North Tonti Street about 7 a.m. Monday and forced him to give it up.

Police: Boyfriend shoots woman in Central City

A boyfriend shot his 25-year-old girlfriend in the abdomen in the 2300 block of Baronne Street about 9 a.m. Tuesday, New Orleans police said.

The victim was listed in stable condition at a hospital. The boyfriend fled the scene.

Man shot Tuesday morning in Metairie

A man was shot about 10 a.m. Tuesday in the 400 block of North Laurel Street in Metairie, according to the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office.

The victim’s wounds were not believed to be life-threatening.

Sting nets LaPlace man on child porn count

A 27-year-old LaPlace man was arrested Tuesday morning on an allegation that he shared child pornography over the Internet with an undercover Plaquemines Parish Sheriff’s Office detective.

The Louisiana Attorney General’s Office Internet Crimes Against Children Division took Matthew Guillory into custody at his home, the Sheriff’s Office said. It said he admitted downloading child pornography.

Guillory was taken to the St. John Parish Jail, where he was booked on four counts of possession of child pornography, two counts of video voyeurism, possession with the intent to distribute marijuana, an outstanding Plaquemines Parish theft warrant and as a fugitive from Plaquemines Parish on one count of distribution of child pornography.