Two men injured in separate shootings
NEW ORLEANS — Police are investigating two shootings that injured two men Tuesday evening.
The first shooting happened about 6:35 p.m. in the 7th Ward.
Police said the victim, a 20-year-old man, was approached by someone in the 1800 block of Allen Street who began to fire at him.
The victim was hit once in the buttocks.
The second shooting injured a 21-year-old man as he walked in St. Claude.
Police said the victim was on North Derbigny Street, near the corner of Gallier Street, when someone opened fire on him about 7:30 p.m.
The victim was hit once in the left leg, police said. His condition was not available.
Police did not identify suspects in either shooting.
Man, 30, arrestin Gretna stabbing
ed Gretna — A 30-year-old Terrytown man was arrested Wednesday after authorities said he stabbed his girlfriend’s ex-boyfriend at a Gretna home.
Gretna Police booked Gerald Conaway Jr. with aggravated battery. According to an arrest report, the 31-year-old victim went to a home at the 2100 block of Lafayette Street to visit his son. The boy was at his grandmother’s home there.
However, the victim and Conaway got into a fight and Conaway apparently stabbed him in the chest, according to the report. The report says the victim collapsed on the scene and later went to a hospital. Conaway admitted to the fight in an interview but said he didn’t remember stabbing the man, the report said.
N.O. man arrested in undercover sting
Metairie — An undercover sting Wednesday turned up nearly two dozen counterfeit headphones and NFL jerseys, according to the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office.
McKinley Adams, 30, of New Orleans, was arrested in the 3000 block of North Causeway Boulevard after arranging to sell an undercover police officer several pairs of counterfeit high-end headphones through an Internet ad, according to an arrest report. When authorities arrested Adams, they said they found 17 pairs of headphones in his vehicle and six counterfeit jerseys.
Man booked with carnal knowledge
Waggaman — The Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office arrested a 23-year-old man Wednesday after authorities said they found him in a vacant home having sex with a 14-year-old girl.
Jaron Chess was booked with carnal knowledge of a juvenile after being arrested inside a vacant home in the 100 block of Dandelion Drive in Waggaman. A deputy was responding to a report of suspicious activity at the home and found the man and girl. When questioned, Chess said he had known the victim for about three years, but thought she was 17.
Marrero man booked with sexual battery
Marrero — A 70-year-old Marrero man was arrested on Wednesday after authorities accused him of sexually assaulting two children at his home.
Rodrick Zeller was booked with two counts of sexual battery by the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office. Authorities say the abuse happened in February at Zeller’s home in the 1200 block of Avenue A.
Man, 84, loses $500 in telephone scam
Metairie — An 84-year-old Metairie man was scammed out of $500 by con artists who claimed they were holding his son hostage.
The incident was reported March 30 according to the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office. According to an incident report, the victim was driving in his vehicle when he received a call from a man who claimed to have his son as a hostage and demanded cash. The caller said that if the man didn’t immediately wire money to Puerto Rico, his son would be killed.
According to the report, the caller also told the victim that if he hung up the phone, his son would be killed. The victim went to a Western Union outlet and sent the money to an address provided. However, the victim was later able to contact both his sons and realized the call had been a scam. No other information was available on the incident, but reports of similar scams have been circulating for months.
Bank robber gets 100-month sentence
Mandeville — A Covington man convicted of robbing a Mandeville bank in 2011 was sentenced Thursday to more than eight years in a federal prison.
Jonathon David Laporte, 26, received a 100-month sentence in connection with the robbery in January 2011.
Laporte is accused of robbing a bank and then trying to flee in his vehicle from a police officer.
The officer fired several shots at the car during the incident. Police were able to capture Laporte after he crashed his car in a ditch.
Man, 41, pleads guilty to benefits threat
New Orleans — A 41-year-old veteran admitted to threatening an employee at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs in 2011 because of a problem with his benefits.
Marlon Green pleaded guilty to making threatening communications in federal court on Wednesday.
Ex-housing authority workers enter pleas
New Orleans — Federal prosecutors secured guilty pleas from two former Housing Authority of New Orleans employees who authorities said set up a kickback scheme to defraud the federal government.
Janice Staves, 57, and James Youngblood, 69, pleaded guilty Wednesday to conspiracy to commit public bribery.
Youngblood, who worked for HANO until 2003, is accused of offering kickbacks to Staves if she steered federal funding to his construction firm without him having to complete any work. According to federal prosecutors, Youngblood received $662,000 under the scheme and steered about $100,000 to Staves.
Kidnapping suspects had Slidell arrest
Slidell — Slidell police said a Florida couple suspected of kidnapping their two sons had a strange encounter with officers last summer.
Joshua and Sharyn Hakken are being sought by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement for allegedly kidnapping their two young children from the boys’ grandmother last week.
Last summer, police found the couple and their children in a Slidell hotel. The two were discussing a “journey to the Armageddon,” police said.
Joshua Hakken was arrested on narcotics and weapons charges because marijuana and several guns were found in the hotel room. Police took the boys into protective custody, but said that later their father later showed up at a foster home in Hammond demanding that his children be returned to him.
Chalmette man, 36, booked with robbery
Chalmette — A 36-year-old Chalmette man, out on bond for two other recent arrests, was arrested for the Easter morning armed robbery of a service station in which an employee was threatened with a rifle, according to St. Bernard Parish Sheriff James Pohlmann.
Robert Clark III, 2004 Culotta St., was arrested at his apartment late Tuesday night, and a crack pipe was recovered in a search authorized by a judge, the sheriff said in a news release.
Clark was booked with the 3:25 a.m. armed robbery of a Shell service station at Judge Perez at Perez Road on March 31 and he and Jaime Schlosser, 37, who lives with him, were both booked with possession of drug paraphernalia for the pipe possession.
Both are being held in St. Bernard Parish Prison.
Compiled by the New Orleans bureau