The FBI said Wednesday that an agent who fatally shot a man in New Orleans East more than two years ago remains employed by the bureau but has been transferred to a different division.
Agent John Sablatura requested to be transferred “for reasons unrelated to” the July 2013 fatal shooting of Allen Desdunes, said Craig Betbeze, a spokesman for the FBI’s New Orleans Field Office. “He remains an FBI employee in good standing,” Betbeze said.
While he has not faced criminal charges, Sablatura has been sued for wrongful death in Desdunes’ shooting. Desdunes’ family claims the agent fatally shot Desdunes at close range without provocation during a drug investigation.
The FBI has declined to comment on the shooting. A federal magistrate ordered the name of the agent to be made public earlier this week.