United Way of Southeast Louisiana partner agencies provide a variety of mental health and substance abuse counseling services that can help prevent suicide.
The regional United Way also funds “Teen Life Counts.” This Jewish Family Services prevention and awareness program trains teachers as well as middle and high school students to spot suicide warning signs.
Among the warning signs of suicide are:
Thinking or talking about suicide
Substance use or abuse
No sense of purpose or belonging
Feeling like there is no way out
Feeling there is nothing to live for, no hope or optimism
Withdrawal from family, friends, work, school, activities, hobbies
Anxiety (restlessness, irritability, agitation)
Recklessness (high risk-taking behavior)
Looking for ways to die (Internet searches for how to commit suicide, looking for guns, pills, etc.)
Statements about hopelessness, helplessness or worthlessness
Preoccupation with death
Dramatic changes in mood
Suddenly happier, calmer
Making arrangements; setting one’s affairs in order
Giving things away, such as prized possessions
Last year, VIALINK provided Helpline counseling to 7,400 people and connected more than 2,100 callers to area outpatient mental health services and mental health facilities.
By dialing 211, VIALINK offers emergency crisis counseling/suicide prevention for anyone with a 504, 985 or 337 area code calling (800) 273-TALK (8255).
Other agencies with programs focused on suicide prevention are:
- Catholic Charities Archdiocese of New Orleans, (504) 523-3755, www.ccano.org
- Children’s Bureau of New Orleans, (504) 525-2366, www.childrens-bureau.com
- Council on Alcohol & Drug Abuse for GNO, (504) 362-4272, www.cadagno.org
- Family Service of Greater New Orleans, (504) 822-0800, www.fsgno.org
- Healing Hearts for Community Development, (504) 833-4673, www.healingheartsnola.org
- Jewish Family Service, (504) 831-8475, www.jfsneworleans.org
- Kingsley House, (504) 523-6221, www.kingsleyhouse.org
- New Horizons Youth Service Bureau, Inc., (985) 345-1171, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Odyssey House Louisiana Inc., (504) 821-9211, www.ohlinc.org
- Plaquemines Community C.A.R.E. Centers Foundation, Inc., (504) 393-5750, www.pcccf.org
- VIA LINK/211, 211 or (800) 749-2673, www.gno211.org
- Youth Service Bureau of St. Tammany, (985) 893-2570, www.ysbworks.com.