Ed and Susan Poole recently gave a presentation on the history of film-making in Louisiana for members of Jefferson Volunteers for Family and Community Inc. The first indoor theater dedicated to “moving picture” viewing, Vitascope Hall, opened at 623 Canal St. in New Orleans on July 18, 1896. Prior to that, films had been shown at parks or vaudeville theaters and in New Orleans at West End Park. Admission was 10 cents to see 12 films, with each film only lasting a few minutes. Films did not tell stories as they do now.
Jefferson Volunteers for Family and Community is an educational, philanthropic and community service organization affiliated with Louisiana Volunteers for Family & Community, Inc. and the LSU Agricultural Center. To learn more about JVFC, call Michael Mosley at (504) 736-6519.