Woman raped trying to find husband in Quarter
A woman who became separated from her husband on Bourbon Street on Wednesday night was raped and robbed by a man who said he knew where the husband was, New Orleans police said.
The 37-year-old victim told police that she and her husband were visiting several bars on Bourbon when she lost track of him.
The victim used a stranger’s cellphone to try to call her husband. After several failed attempts at contacting him, an unknown man walked up and said he knew where her husband was. She agreed to go with the man and followed him.
The victim and the unknown man wound up in what police described as a “dark, secluded area” near St. Louis and Decatur streets about 12:20 a.m. Thursday.
The man then grabbed the victim and sexually assaulted her. After the assault, he took cash from her purse and ran away.
Police did not provide a description of the man.
Detective Vernon Haynes Jr. is in charge of the investigation.
Man gunned down on 7th Ward home porch
A 35-year-old man was gunned down Wednesday night on the porch of a 7th Ward home, authorities said.
The shooting was reported a little after 9 p.m. in the 2200 block of North Galvez Street, said Officer Frank Robertson, a Police Department spokesman.
Jermaine Milton died on the scene from a gunshot wound to his neck, said John Gagliano, the Orleans Parish coroner’s chief investigator.
While police have not identified a suspect or motive, investigators found drugs in Milton’s clothing, Robertson said.
Homicide Detective Wayne Delarge is in charge of the investigation.
Man, 49, found dead on street in LaPlace
A 49-year-old LaPlace man was found shot to death Wednesday night in the 200 block of Joe Parquet Circle.
St. John the Baptist Parish Sheriff’s Office deputies found Milton Clofer Jr. lying in the road at 11:21 p.m., fatally shot in the head, according to Sheriff Mike Tregre. Clofer died at the scene.
The killing was the third homicide in the parish this year.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Sheriff’s Office’s tips line at (985) 359-8477 or Crimestoppers at (504) 822-1111.
Armed men tie up two in home invasion
Three armed men burst into an Uptown home Wednesday afternoon in a robbery attempt, police said.
The victims — two men ages 55 and 44 — were inside a home in the 2700 block of Milan Street when the armed men came in through a back door about 12:30 p.m.
The intruders tied up the victims and ransacked the home while searching for money, police said.
They left a short time later. Police did not say if they found any money.
Third suspect booked in Arabi business robbery
St. Bernard Parish authorities have arrested a third suspect in connection with an armed robbery at a payday loan business in Arabi and continue to search for the unknown getaway driver.
Mario Westbrook, 37, of New Orleans, was taken into custody Thursday by a U.S. Marshals Service Task Force, Sheriff James Pohlmann said.
Westbrook, booked on a count of armed robbery, was allegedly one of three men who robbed the business in the 7500 block of West Judge Perez Drive at gunpoint May 31.
Previously arrested were Kendrick Wells, 36, and Rodrick Natteel, 36. They are being held in St. Bernard Parish Prison on bails of $200,000 each.
Detectives recovered the getaway car used in the crime but have yet to find the driver.
Slidell man arrested in Jeff battery, robbery
A Slidell man wanted in connection with a simple robbery and domestic battery in Jefferson Parish has been arrested.
Authorities began looking for Charles Boutin, 41, on Wednesday morning after he allegedly pushed his girlfriend and hit her on top of her head several times during an argument.
Boutin then grabbed the victim’s cellphone and left the apartment, said Glen Boyd, a Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office spokesman.
The Sheriff’s Office said Boutin was arguing with his girlfriend about her job at a strip club.
Woman surrenders in St. Charles hit-and-run
A woman sought in connection with a hit-and-run accident in St. Charles Parish surrendered to authorities Wednesday night.
Kimberly Anne Albrecht, 34, who was wanted for the June 5 accident on U.S. 61 over the Bonnet Carre Spillway, turned herself in at the Nelson Coleman Correctional Center, the St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Office said.
She was released Thursday morning after posting a $1,280 bond.
A warrant had been issued for Albrecht for hit-and-run, reckless operation of a motor vehicle and having an expired driver’s license.