Four house fires in the New Orleans area displaced four families overnight Wednesday.
Volunteers with the American Red Cross provided the families -- two in New Orleans, one in Kenner and one in Westwego -- with emergency food, shelter and clothing, the aid organization said Thursday.
The Red Cross will work with the 15 people affected by the fires to work out a long-term recovery plan.
“Unfortunately, disaster never takes a holiday,” said Kay W. Wilkins, CEO of the American Red Cross Louisiana Region. “I want to thank the volunteers who took time away from their families to help their neighbors in need, and the supporters who allow the Red Cross to be there for people following a disaster, 365 days a year.”
The Red Cross urges people to keep flammable items away from heaters, teach children about the dangers of matches and lighters, turn off space heaters when they sleep or leave the room, and to avoid smoking in bed.
Families should always have smoke alarms and an evacuation plan with two ways to escape out of their house.