Police continued to search Tuesday for the man suspected of fatally shooting one teenager and wounding another as he chased them on foot Monday night in Central City.

Miquial Jackson, 14, became New Orleans’ youngest homicide victim of the year when he died hours after he was rushed to a hospital in critical condition.

Investigators allege Gregory Johnson, 52, opened fire on Miquial and two other teenagers as they walked near Josephine and Brainard streets at about 7:30 p.m.

Police issued a warrant for Johnson for first-degree murder and two counts of attempted first-degree murder.

A bullet struck Miquial in the head, and one of the other youths, a 15-year-old, was hit in the leg. The third teenager escaped injury.

Miquial died at about 10 p.m. at Interim LSU Hospital, said John Gagliano, the Orleans Parish Coroner’s Office’s chief investigator.

The 15-year-old’s injury was not serious. WWL-TV reported that he was Miquial’s brother.

Police said Johnson opened fire on the teens as he chased them.

Witnesses told police that Johnson was “fussing” at the youths as they walked in the area. Police did not say why he might have been upset with them.

A short time later, a Mercedes-Benz, driving the wrong way down a one-way street in the neighborhood, pulled up to the corner and stopped, police said.

Witnesses said they saw Johnson walk to the car, get something out of the back seat and then chase the teens before he opened fire on them.

It was not clear if Miquial was the intended victim.

Police found the driver of the Mercedes, Randy Pittman, 49, and booked him with three counts of being an accessory to attempted first-degree murder.

Pittman’s bond was set at $750,000 for all three counts. He remained jailed Tuesday.

Friends, family — including his older brother — and teachers from Miquial’s school gathered Tuesday night at the spot where he lost his life 24 hours earlier.

His mother was too distraught to speak, but a great-uncle called on Johnson to surrender.

“Please turn yourself in,” Griffin Eleby pleaded. “You’re a grown man. He was a boy.”

Glenda Poole, Miquial’s principal at ReNEW Cultural Arts Academy in the 3100 block of Constance Street, described him as a typically playful boy with a memorable character.

“He was a little body and a big personality,” Poole said of the eighth-grader, who barely topped 5 feet and weighed maybe 100 pounds. “We knew when he was in the building.”

Anyone with information on Johnson’s whereabouts is asked to call Crimestoppers at (504) 822-1111.

Follow Danny Monteverde on Twitter, @DCMonteverde.