The third suspect in Sunday’s officer-involved shooting has been arrested.
James Wilson, 26, was picked up Monday morning in Plaquemines Parish after he surrendered to authorities there, said Tyler Gamble, a New Orleans Police Department spokesman.
Wilson, the apparent get-away drive, was booked Monday evening with first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder, Gamble said.
Commander Eric Becnel, a Plaquemines Parish Sheriff’s Office spokesman, said that Wilson surrendered about 9 a.m. and identified himself as “Renegade.” The NOPD has previously said that one of the suspects they sought was a man who went by that nickname.
Police previously arrested 34-year-old Cornelius Barthelemy. Court documents show he was booked on a count of first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder of a police officer in connection with the shooting, which injured Officer Jonathan Smith.
Another suspect, identified only as “Caesar,” was found dead inside a Ford SUV parked at an apartment complex in Gretna. His identity has not been released pending notification of family, the Jefferson Parish Coroner’s Office said.
Smith was working a paid detail at Gene’s Po-boys at Elysian Fields and St. Claude avenues when the shooting happened at about 1:40 a.m. Sunday.
He remained hospitalized on Monday. His injuries were not serious, police have said.
Follow Danny Monteverde on Twitter @DCMonteverde.