Suspected gunman nabbed after detective spots his vehicle _lowres

Cedric Smith, 25, booked with second-degree murder in connection with the shooting death of 20-year-old Shawn Berry.

Cedric Smith Jr.’s freedom came to a screeching halt Sunday afternoon.

New Orleans homicide detective Matthew Morrison was on North Rampart Street when he saw a dark-colored Volvo with a bullet-riddled driver’s-side door and a temporary license plate drive by, according to police documents.

He had been searching for a car with a similar description in connection with a recent drive-by shooting that turned into a homicide after one of the victims, 20-year-old Shawn Berry, died.

Morrison and 8th District police pulled over the Volvo about 5 p.m. Sunday in the 600 block of Decatur Street and found Smith, two other men and several guns inside the car, according to court documents.

Police took Smith, 25, into custody and interviewed him. They said he admitted to firing on an adjacent car about 2 a.m. Wednesday near Elysian Fields and North Claiborne avenues, according to court documents.

Smith said he then sped away and discarded the gun he allegedly used to shoot Berry.

The car Berry was in apparently was able to escape the scene, too. Paramedics picked him up at Almonaster Avenue and Higgins Boulevard and took him to Interim LSU Hospital, according to court documents.

He died Saturday morning, the Orleans Parish Coroner’s Office said.

Another man in the car also was struck but survived.

Besides second-degree murder and attempted second-degree murder, Smith was booked with obstruction of justice because he fled the scene, did not call police about the shooting and discarded evidence, according to court documents.

Police did not give a motive for the shooting.

The other two men in the car with Smith when it was stopped were questioned and released.

Smith remained jailed Monday. His bail was set at $625,000, according to Orleans Parish Prison records.

Follow Danny Monteverde on Twitter at @DCMonteverde.