Roberto Antonio Barrios

Suspect ID’d in hit-run that injured two girls

Investigators have identified the man they believe injured two girls in a recent hit-and-run in the Lower 9th Ward.

A warrant has been issued for Brandon Lang, 26, for two counts of negligent injuring and one count of hit-and-run, New Orleans police said.

Lang is suspected of striking the girls, ages 9 and 11, on Oct. 5 at Tupelo Street and St. Claude Avenue.

Police on Oct. 9 recovered a tan 2001 Chevrolet Tahoe they believe Lang drove during the accident. The vehicle, which had no license plate, was found at 2618 Gordon St.

Lang was connected to the vehicle through DNA evidence and anonymous tips, police said.

Anyone with information on Lang’s whereabouts is asked to contact Crimestoppers at (504) 822-1111.

Suspect ID’d, sought in Metairie carjacking

Jefferson Parish investigators have identified and are searching for a suspect in a June Metairie carjacking.

Police said DNA evidence linked 25-year-old Roberto Antonio Barrios to the incident that happened about 9:30 a.m. June 26 in the 8000 block of Cortez Street.

The 53-year-old victim was getting out of her car when Barrios, armed with a gun, walked up to her and demanded her keys, the Sheriff’s Office said.

Barrios then drove away in her car, which was found the next day in the 200 block of Helen Drive in Gretna.

Anyone with information on Barrios’ whereabouts is asked to contact the Sheriff’s Office’s Robbery Section at (504) 364-5376.

Barrios, who has no known local address, has a criminal history in Texas and Florida, the Sheriff’s Office said.

Gunfire wounds two men Thursday in N.O.

Two men were wounded Thursday night during separate shootings in New Orleans, police said.

The first shooting was reported about 7:30 p.m. in the 5900 block of Chef Menteur Highway in New Orleans East.

Police said the 19-year-old victim was trying to buy drugs when he and the would-be seller began to fight.

A gun went off during the struggle, and the victim was hit. He was taken to a hospital for treatment.

Police provided no information on his condition.

About an hour later, police were called to investigate a shooting at Aubry and North Rocheblave streets in the 7th Ward.

The victim told police he was walking in the area about 8:40 p.m. when he heard gunshots and realized he was hit.

He ran to St. Bernard Avenue and North Roman Street, where his brother picked him up and took him to Touro Infirmary. He was treated and released, police said.

Man robbed while walking on CBD street

A man was robbed late Thursday while walking in the Central Business District.

An SUV pulled up to the 63-year-old victim about 11:55 p.m. as he walked in the 800 block of Union Street.

A man armed with a gun got out of the back seat and demanded the victim’s wallet.

The victim handed over his wallet, the robber got back in the vehicle and it drove away.

Reward increased in Central City shooting

Crimestoppers and the family of a man fatally shot last month in Central City have increased the reward for information leading to an arrest and indictment of the unknown killer.

A reward of $3,500 is now being offered to whoever provides such information about the death of Shaffee Dawson.

Dawson, 31, was found dead about 11:30 p.m. Sept. 6 in the 2900 block of Dryades Street.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Crimestoppers at (504) 822-1111.

Coroner identifies man found floating in canal

The man whose body was pulled from the New Basin Canal near West End Park this week has been identified as 62-year-old Michael Guimont.

The cause of his death is under investigation, Orleans Parish Coroner Jeffrey Rouse said Friday.

Guimont was found floating in the canal behind Landry’s Seafood on Wednesday afternoon.

Police find man’s body on neutral ground

The body of an unknown man was found Thursday morning on the Esplanade Avenue neutral ground at Royal Street, New Orleans police said.

The man, who appeared to be in his 40s or 50s, was found about 9:50 a.m.

The cause of death remains under investigation, but there were no obvious signs of trauma, police said.