N.O. man gets 34 years in teen’s killing

A New Orleans man pleaded guilty to manslaughter Tuesday and accepted a 34-year prison sentence for killing a 14-year-old boy during a block party on a Central City street.

Edward Barton was sitting on a front porch at Sixth and Danneel streets about 6 p.m. June 30, 2013, when he was shot dead.

Milton Bangham, 33, turned himself in a few days later. He was set to go on trial for murder Tuesday before Criminal District Court Judge Karen Herman, but he took a plea deal as a jury pool waited outside.

District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro’s office said Bangham began to flee after the shooting “but returned when he realized that the victim was still moving” and fired several more shots into Barton. A coroner’s report found Barton was shot 10 times in all.

Man fatally shot in New Orleans East

A 20-year-old man was fatally shot Monday night in New Orleans East, police said.

The shooting happened about 8:30 p.m. in the 6800 block of Mayo Boulevard. The name of the victim was not released.

The man was shot multiple times and was found lying in the street.

Guilty pleas entered in heroin conspiracy

Federal prosecutors said Tuesday that nearly a dozen men have pleaded guilty in a heroin conspiracy.

Two of the men, Terence Taylor, 36, and Malcolm Bolden, 20, admitted distributing heroin that resulted in an overdose death.

An investigation by the FBI and the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration included several surveillance operations and undercover heroin buys. The probe showed Taylor and others had stashed heroin at a home in New Orleans East, where they also would meet with heroin suppliers.

In addition to Taylor and Bolden, Arthur McKinnis, 24; Noel Jones, 27; Terrell Dyer, 30; Percy Depron, 28; Ernest Diaz, 25; Terrell Davis, 24; and Melvin Smith, 30, pleaded guilty to conspiring to distribute heroin in the New Orleans area.

Narciess Trotter, 43, and Aaronisha Lewis, 26, pleaded guilty to using telephones in furtherance of the conspiracy, prosecutors said.

U.S. District Judge Kurt Engelhardt set sentencing for June 24.

Police: Pharmacy robber sought

Police are looking for an unidentified man who robbed a pharmacy last week in New Orleans East.

The robbery happened about 6 p.m. Thursday at the Community Choice Pharmacy on Lake Forest Boulevard.

Police said the man entered the pharmacy and began pacing around, saying he was waiting for a prescription. He later pulled out a handgun, climbed over the counter and demanded narcotics, authorities said.

The robber was described as black man with a dark complexion, between 45 and 50 years old. He is about 5-foot-1 and was wearing a dark gray hooded sweatshirt and a green skull cap. He carried a black and gray handgun.

Mustang involved in hit-and-run found

Police said Tuesday they have located a vehicle believed to have been involved in a hit-and-run accident Sunday that killed a 71-year-old woman.

Acting on a tip, investigators found the burnt-orange Ford Mustang in an abandoned lot in the 3100 block of Industrial Court in the St. Claude neighborhood.

Detectives determined the vehicle, said to have damage to its front, had been involved in the hit-and-run.

The accident happened about 3:25 a.m. at Elysian Fields Avenue and North Dorgenois Street. The Mustang was heading south on Elysian Fields when it struck the woman, who was crossing the street with her walker.

The driver fled the scene, police said.

Man wanted in domestic incident

New Orleans police were searching Tuesday for a 21-year-old man accused of attacking his girlfriend.

Tyrone Johnson Jr. was being sought on counts of domestic abuse battery and aggravated assault with a firearm.

The incident happened Monday afternoon near North Claiborne Avenue and Canal Street.

Police said Johnson pointed a gun at the 20-year-old woman, grabbed her around the neck and punched her repeatedly in the face.

The woman managed to get into her car, drive away and call police.