A third sinkhole has formed on a New Orleans street this week, according to a report.
The new sinkhole recently opened up in the 800 block of Taft Place in Mid-City, WWL-TV reported. A homeowner near the sinkhole, David Lagarde, said that part of the street started cracking last week. Over six days, the cracks worsened, and a sinkhole developed, he told WWL.
“If you took a car and you went a block on Taft you’d feel like you were on a little skiff or something on rough seas, that’s how bad the holes are,” Lagarde told the station.
A Sewerage and Water Board spokesperson told WWL that the new sinkhole formed because of a broken sewer line, adding that crews will repair the hole today.
On Friday, a large sinkhole opened on Canal Street near Harrah’s Casino. Repairing the tunnel is expected to take between three and six months and could cost between $3 million and $5 million.
A smaller sinkhole also developed on Constantinople Street in Uptown Thursday.