The New Orleans community has rallied around 64-year-old Doug David after the California man was left paralyzed following an Oct. 15 assault at Frenchmen and Decatur streets.
According to WWL-TV, a Facebook page called “Justice for Doug David” and a giveforward.com site have been created to help airlift him back to California. New Orleans City Councilwoman Susan Guidry, who visited David in the hospital and spoke with his niece, told the station that it would cost more than $20,000 for a special medical plane to bring him home.
WWL also obtained footage of the moments before David crossed Frenchmen Street onto Decatur Street, when 30-year-old Christopher Smith allegedly ran a stop sign. According to police, David cursed at the driver and threw a can at the vehicle, prompting Smith to get out and attack David.
David’s niece, Alicia Foulds, said David received spinal-cord injuries that left him paralyzed. The incident has raised questions about how long it takes the NOPD to respond to some serious crimes. Police took 40 minutes to respond to the Oct. 15 attack, and they did not begin a follow-up investigation until 10 days later.
WWL also reports that local musicians have shown up to University Medical Center to play for David, a New Orleans aficionado who loves the culture and music of the city.
At the hospital earlier this week, David said, “I don’t blame any of what happened (with the police delay) on any one person. I still love New Orleans.”