It’s spring soccer season for girls and boys ages 5 to 13. Families can register now through March 9 for YLC Kicks Soccer, a partnership with the Young Leadership Council.
Volunteer coaches will share their passion for the popular sport in a supportive and positive environment. Soccer is a vehicle for youth to learn to model the social, emotional and leadership skills needed to become successful adults.
Practices and games will take place at 11 NORDC parks this season — Norman, Behrman, Harrell, A.L. Davis, Lyons, Taylor, St. Roch, Comiskey, Joe W. Brown, Kenilworth and Milne. All equipment is provided.
The season runs from March 2 to May 16 and consists of one 75-minute practice session per week and one game on Friday night or Saturday morning.
YLC Kicks is now accepting volunteer coach application forms. Applicants must pass a national and local criminal background check and attend volunteer training.
For information, visit http://www.ylcnola.org/display/ylc-kicks">www.ylcnola.org/display/ylc-kicks.
Victor N. Richard III is the Chief Executive Officer of the New Orleans Recreation Development Commission. For more information, visit nola.gov/nordc.
- SUMMER CAMP EXPO: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., March 7, Behrman Rec Center, 2529 General Meyer Ave.; Treme Recreation Center, 900 N. Villere St.; Joe W. Brown Recreation Center, 5601 Read Blvd.; and Gernon Brown Rec Center, 1001 Harrison Ave. Info and registration for NORDC Summer Youth and Teen Camps.
- MOVIES IN THE PARK: March 6 to May 30, free outdoor movies at NORDC playgrounds with pre-show activities. Full schedule at http://eastbankcollaborative.comhttp://www.nola.gov/nordc">www.nola.gov/nordc.
- EASTER EGGSTRAVAGANZA: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., March 21, Joe W. Brown Recreation Center, 5601 Read Blvd. and 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., March 28, Cut-Off Rec Center, 6600 Belgrade St. Free Easter egg hunts, games and activities.
- HEALTH IN THE BLACK COMMUNITY: Feb. 27, 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at Cut-Off Rec Center, 6600 Belgrade St. Free activities and health screenings: 6 p.m. to 7 p.m., Kemetic Yoga; 7 p.m. to 8 p.m., Meditation and Lecture with Zachary Ramsey; 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., Diabetes Blood Pressure Screenings; 8 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., Afro Exercise. Sign up for Black Girls Run any time during the event. For details, visit www.nola.gov/nordc or call (504) 658-3052.
- LIFEGUARD CLASS: March 2, 16 and 30, and April 13 and 27, 6-8 p.m. at Joe W. Brown Pool, 5601 Read Blvd. For ages 15 and older who are interested in becoming a lifeguard. Preregistration is suggested. Free. For details, visit www.nola.gov/nordc or call (504) 658-3021.
- KEMETIC YOGA: 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays at Treme Rec Center, 900 N. Villere St.