Fleeing employees startle would-be robber
A man who tried to rob a Gentilly fast-food restaurant Sunday night ran away when fleeing employees startled him, New Orleans police said.
The unknown robber, armed with a pistol, walked into the Wendy’s at 6166 Elysian Fields Ave. about 9:40 p.m. and demanded cash.
The manager told the man the safe was on a timer and could not be opened.
At that point, the would-be robber saw two employees run out the door, and he became startled and fled, police said.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Patrick Crowley at (504) 658-6030.
Police seek man in Walgreens shoplifting
Police are asking for the public’s help in identifying a man wanted in a shoplifting at a 7th Ward drugstore.
The unknown man walked into the Walgreens at 1829 St. Bernard Ave. about 9 a.m. Saturday and put several CDs and DVDs, worth more than $100, into his pockets. He then walked out of the store without paying for them, police said.
Police on Tuesday released a surveillance image of the man.
Anyone with information on his identity is asked to contact Detective John Mitchell at (504) 658-6010.
Boy, 3, reports rape by 13-year-old boy
A 3-year-old boy reported being raped by a 13-year-old boy, New Orleans police said.
The incident was reported about 11 a.m. Monday in the 2500 block of Bienville Street.
No other details were available.
N.O. police investigate three armed robberies
New Orleans police on Tuesday were investigating three armed robberies reported on an overnight crime log:
7:06 p.m. in the 5100 block of Gen. de Gaulle Drive, Algiers: Two men walked into a Subway sandwich shop and ordered the cashier to open the register. They got an unknown amount of cash.
8:07 p.m. Monday at Conti and Bourbon streets: A 43-year-old man and a 31-year-old woman were walking in the French Quarter when they passed two men, one of whom had a gun. The armed man told the male victim to give him everything he had. The man handed over his belongings, and the robber and the other man fled.
3:22 a.m. Tuesday in the 500 block of Conti Street: A man and woman, both 24, were approached in the French Quarter by two men who got out of a car. The men, who carried handguns, took the victims’ passports and cellphones.
Man, 44, suspected of extorting girl, 15
A 44-year-old Metairie man has been arrested on suspicion of getting a 15-year-old girl to send him a topless photograph of herself and then trying to use it to coerce her into a sexual relationship with him, Harahan police said.
According to police, Timothy Borja had been sending “lewd” and “sexual” messages to the girl through Facebook and texts.
The investigation began Sunday.
Harahan police booked Borja with extortion, indecent behavior with a juvenile and computer-aided solicitation of a minor.
He also was booked on outstanding attachments from St. Charles and Jefferson parishes. Details about those warrants were not provided.
SWAT standoff ends with man’s arrest
A man barricaded himself inside his Canal Street apartment for several hours Tuesday while armed with a knife, prompting the New Orleans Police Department’s SWAT Team to respond. He eventually surrendered and was arrested.
Christophe Alfred, 38, faces charges of domestic assault and domestic battery, said Officer Hilal Williams, a Police Department spokeswoman.
Alfred surrendered about 12:20 p.m., about seven hours after police first responded to a call from his apartment building at 1801 Canal St.
Officers were called about 5 a.m. to the Volunteers of America’s Duvernay Residence, where a woman told them she and her ex-boyfriend got into an argument that turned physical.
Alfred threw bleach on the woman and threatened to kill her with a knife, Williams said. The victim was able to break away and call police.
Alfred then barricaded himself inside his apartment and threatened to kill himself. He surrendered after speaking to police negotiators.