All 14 New Orleans Public Library locations will be closed Monday, May 26, in honor of Memorial Day.
A Feast for Crows
“Game of Thrones” fans will not want to miss A Feast For Crows, from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday, May 22, at the Mid-City Library, 3700 Orleans Ave. In addition to the cooking demonstration of fare from the “Game of Thrones” world, there will be a drawing to win “The Unofficial Game of Thrones Cookbook.”
Red light history
Pamela Arceneaux will present “A Red Light Look at New Orleans History” at 6 p.m. Wednesday at the Algiers Regional Library, 3014 Holiday Drive. Arceneaux, who is senior librarian and rare books curator of the Historic New Orleans Collection, will present a lively history of prostitution in New Orleans, including references to the “correctional” girls and the casket girls, quadroon balls and the system of placage, red light areas prior to Storyville, prominent personalities, the Blue Books, jazz and the demise of Storyville.
The stories in obituaries
A story usually begins at the beginning. However, sometimes you can learn more by starting at the end. Using obituaries, Louisiana division and city archives, librarian Christina Bryant will discuss how to tell a story by starting at the end and working backward. This fun event will be at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Algiers Regional Library, 3014 Holiday Drive.
New Orleans Public Library programs and events are free.
Charles Brown is the executive director of the New Orleans Public Library. For information, visit neworleanspubliclibrary.org; like us on facebook.com/neworleanspubliclibrary; and follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/nolalibrary.
3014 Holiday Drive (504) 596-2641
- DEATH IN THE ARCHIVES: 10:30 a.m. Saturday.
- STORYTIME: 10:30 a.m. Tuesday and 2:30 p.m. Saturday.
- CHESS CLUB FOR TEENS: 4 p.m. Tuesday.
- HOMEWORK CLUB: 4 p.m. Wednesday.
- A RED LIGHT LOOK AT NEW ORLEANS HISTORY: 6 p.m. Wednesday.
913 Alvar St. (504) 596-2667
- BASIC COMPUTER TUTORING: 11 a.m. Thursday.
- STORYTIME: 10:30 a.m. Saturday.
- HOMEWORK HELP: 3:30 p.m. Tuesday.
CENTRAL CITY BRANCH
2405 Jackson Ave. (504) 596-3110
- HOMEWORK HELP: 4 p.m. Thursday.
MONDAY MORNING MOVIES: 10 A.M. MONDAY.
- STORYTIME: 10 a.m. Tuesday.
CHILDREN’S RESOURCE CENTER
913 Napoleon Ave. (504) 596-2628
- STORYTIME: 10:30 a.m. Wednesday.
- MOVIE MATINEE: 1 p.m. Saturday.
EAST NEW ORLEANS REGIONAL
5641 Read Blvd. (504) 596-0200
- TECHNOLOGY QUESTIONS DROP IN TRAINING: 4 p.m. Thursday.
- HOMEWORK CLINIC: 4:30 p.m. Thursday.
COMPUTER CLASS: 10 A.M. SATURDAY AND WEDNESDAY.
- STORYTIME: 1 p.m. Saturday and 5 p.m. Tuesday.
- ENTREPRENEURIAL TRAINING PROGRAM: 4:30 p.m. Wednesday.
725 Pelican Ave. (504) 366-0657
- STORYTIME: 10:30 a.m. Tuesday and Thursday.
DROP-IN HOMEWORK HELP AND TUTORING: 4:30 P.M. TUESDAY AND THURSDAY.
- FAMILY MOVIES: 10:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. Saturday.
KELLER LIBRARY AND COMMUNITY CENTER
4300 S. Broad St. (504) 596-2660
- DROP-IN AND PLAY: 10 a.m. Thursday.
- HOMEWORK HELP: 4:30 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday.
- WHO DAT SIGNING: 6 p.m. Thursday.
- OPEN COMPUTER LAB FOR ADULTS: 1 p.m. Friday.
- KIDS’ COOKING CLASS: 9:30 a.m. Saturday.
- CITIZENSHIP CLASS: 10 a.m. Saturday.
- ONE-ON-ONE TECHNOLOGY ASSISTANCE: 10 a.m. Saturday.
- FREE NOTARY PUBLIC: 10 a.m. Saturday and Wednesday; 5 p.m. Tuesday.
- WELCOME BABY: 10 a.m. Saturday.
- YOGA FOR EVERYONE: 11 a.m. Saturday.
- KIDS’ CRAFT: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- ENGLISH CONVERSATION CIRCLE: 6 p.m. Tuesday.
- ZUMBA: 6 p.m. Tuesday.
- TEEN ART CLUB: 3 p.m. Wednesday.
- SPANISH CONVERSATION CIRCLE: 6 p.m. Wednesday.
1611 Caffin Ave. (504) 596-2695
- STORYTIME: 10 a.m. Tuesday and Thursday.
LATTER BRANCH LIBRARY
5120 St. Charles Ave. (504) 596-2625
- FRIENDS OF NOPL BOOK SALE: 10 a.m. Wednesday and Saturday.
- CHILDREN’S BOOK CLUB: 12:30 p.m. Sunday.
- STORYTIME: 10:30 a.m. Tuesday and 2 p.m. Sunday.
- A BOOK CLUB CALLED DESIRE: 6 p.m. Wednesday.
3700 Orleans Ave. (504) 596-2654
- A FEAST FOR CROWS: 5:30 p.m. Thursday.
STORYTIME WITH CRAFT: 10:30 A.M. TUESDAY.
HOMEWORK ASSISTANCE: 4 P.M. WEDNESDAY.
1401 S. Carrollton Ave. (504) 596-2630
- RÉSUMÉ WRITING SECRETS: 5:30 p.m. Thursday.
- KIDS’ CRAFT TIME: 3 p.m. Saturday.
- STORYTIME: 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.
NORMAN MAYER BRANCH
3001 Gentilly Blvd. (504) 596-3100
- STORYTIME FOR BABIES: 10:30 a.m. Thursday.
- T(W)EEN WEEKEND MAKE & DO: 1 p.m. Saturday.
ONE-ON-ONE OPEN TECHNOLOGY Q&A: 10 A.M. TUESDAY.
- T(W)EEN ANIMA & MANGA CLUB: 3 p.m. Tuesday.
- STORYTIME: 10:30 a.m. Wednesday.
T(W)EEN CRAFTERNOON: 3 P.M. WEDNESDAY.
6301 Canal Blvd. (504) 596-2638
- LAP-SIT STORYTIME: 11 a.m. Thursday.
STORYTIME: 2 P.M. SATURDAY.
219 Loyola Ave. (504) 596-2650
- STORYTIME WITH CRAFT: 1 p.m. Saturday.
- SHARE A READ BOOK CLUB: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- TABLE-TOP GAMING: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- STORYTIME: 3 p.m. Tuesday.
- YU-GI-OH!: 3 p.m. Wednesday.